United Reformed Church / Congregational Church

Date:
23 Jun 2002
Location:
United Reformed Church, Whiting Street, Bury St Edmunds, St Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33 1NX
Show all locations
Congregational Church, Whiting Street, Bury St Edmunds, St Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33 1NX
Reference:
IOE01/07592/03
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
To ask us about this record, please make an enquiry.
Request a copy

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8563NW WHITING STREET 639-1/15/735 (West side) 12/07/72 United Reformed Church (Formerly Listed as: WHITING STREET (West side) Congregational Church)

GV II

United Reformed Church, formerly the Congregational Church, originally built as an Independent Chapel. Late C17/early C18 core; interior reconstructed in 1804; enlarged 1869 and refronted. Render to sides and rear; white brick front with stone dressings. C20 tiled roofs, steeply pitched and hipped to the older part, with a gabled projection on the east linking with the C19 front. EXTERIOR: the south side has a 2-storey range of 3 cross windows, all with diamond leaded panes. The east front is in a Victorian early Perpendicular style, the centre nave gabled, with a carved finial at the apex and stepped and gabled buttresses, the sides with a plain parapet and string course. A large 4-light central window has curvilinear tracery and is flanked by 2 tiers of 2-light windows in the aisles, the upper windows with arched heads and cusped tracery, the lower in the same Tudor style as the adjacent Sunday School building (qv) with flat arches and hood-moulds. Below the central window the wide entrance doorway with a 4-centred arch has moulded spandrels with circular trefoil cusping. Boarded double door with ornate wrought-iron hinges. INTERIOR: galleried on all 4 sides, the fronts moulded, with sunk panels; supported on cast-iron columns. At the west end, a typical arrangement with the organ at the back of the gallery, which is embellished by an upper arcade of 3 semicircular arches supported by square panelled columns; decorative plasterwork in the intermediate spandrels. The central pulpit is approached by stairs on each side.



Listing NGR: TL8531163947

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Rawlinson_John IOE Records for Rawlinson, John; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr John Rawlinson. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Rawlinson, John

Rights Holder: Rawlinson, John

Keywords

Brick, Render, Stone, Tile, Stuart Congregational Chapel, Georgian Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Place Of Worship, United Reformed Church