Church Of The Holy Trinity

Date:
27 Aug 2002
Location:
Church Of The Holy Trinity, Church Lane, Acaster Malbis, York, North Yorkshire
Reference:
IOE01/07593/01
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
To ask us about this record, please make an enquiry.
Request a copy

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

ACASTER MALBIS CHURCH LANE SE 54 NE (east side) 1/1 Church of The Holy 3.2.67 Trinity - I

Church. Early C14 with additions and restorations of 1886 by C Hodgson Fowler including bell tower and spire. Magnesian limestone ashlar with plain tile roof and wooden bell tower. Cruciform on plan with south porch.

3-bay nave with 2-bay chancel and single-bay transepts. Chamfered plinth.

Nave: south side, central south porch has pointed arch with chamfered architrave under hood-mould with head stops. Pointed arched entrance with double-chamfered architrave and studded plank door. North side has central blocked opening with pointed, double-chamfered architrave. 3-light, straight-headed windows with reticulated tracery. West end has reticulated 5-light window under depressed segmental arch with quatrefoil above.

Transepts, have 3-light windows, those to north and south under depressed pointed arches with trefoils above. Chancel has reticulated 3-light windows with 7-light east window under depressed segmental arch and with elongated sexfoil above. Swept roofs. Crosses at apex. Shingled bell turret has similar 2-light openings and octagonal spire. Interior: medieval tub font on stepped, cylindrical base. Remains of wall painting exposed to north side of nave. Brackets for statues to either side of east window. Ogee- headed piscina. Effigy of a cross-legged knight presumed to represent Sir John Malbys (d1316). Medieval grave slab with foliate cross. Painted wooden plaque of 1687 'Fearr God Honour the King' with lion and unicorn.

Painted plaque c1764 recording benefactions of John Knowles. Elaborate continental C17 pulpit with intricate geometrical panelling and figures at the angles. Pevsner N, Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979 pp 69-70.

Listing NGR: SE5937545837

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Robson_David IOE Records for Robson, David; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr David Robson. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Robson, David

Rights Holder: Robson, David

Keywords

Ashlar, Magnesian Limestone, Tile, Wood, Medieval Grave Slab, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Grave Marker, Funerary Site, Church, Place Of Worship, Effigy, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Plaque