Church Of St Mary
- 28 Aug 2002
- Church Of St Mary, Jackson's Walk, Askham Richard, York, North Yorkshire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NORTH YORKSHIRE SELBY 5342
SE 54 NW ASKHAM RICHARD JACKSON'S WALK (east side)
2/4 Church of St Mary
Church. Late C12 with earlier origins, restored 1879. Magnesian limestone ashlar and sandstone with plain tile roof. Continuous nave with no chancel, south porch, north vestry. Nave: Norman south side has 3 irregularly-spaced round-headed windows under hood-moulds. To east a buttress and round-arched doorway. South porch of 1879 with 2 orders of eroded nook shafts contains late Norman doorway with 2 orders of nook shafts, all with water-leaf capitals except one which is scalloped, supporting arch decorated with roll- moulding, under hood-mould with mask stops and with mask at apex. Chamfered eaves band to first 2 bays. North side: restored in C19. 2 similar windows without hood-mould. C19 vestry under catslide roof with late Victorian chimney and inserted round-arched Saxon doorway in west end. West gable: restored in C19. Tall, single-light, round-headed window. Slightly projecting bell-turret supported by modillion band. Round-headed bell- opening under hood-mould. Cross at apex. East end: restored in C19.
Ashlar plinth. Group of 3 stepped round-arched windows, under continuous hood-mould. Round window above. All (chamfered) architraves and hood- moulds renewed. Interior: renewed in C19. Base of cross decorated with serpent design found in 1879. The Saxon doorway now in vestry was found in tile north wall during restoration and re-assembled.
Listing NGR: SE5369748013
Copyright IoE Mr David Robson. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Robson, David
Rights Holder: Robson, David
Ashlar, Magnesian Limestone, Sandstone, Tile, Early Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Cross