The Chantry Hotel
- 15 Aug 2002
- The Chantry Hotel, 8 Sparhawk Street, Bury St Edmunds, St Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33 1RY
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8563NE SPARHAWK STREET 639-1/11/587 (West side) 12/07/72 No.8 The Chantry Hotel
House, now a hotel. C18, in several phases. Cement-rendered front, red brick sides, rear in painted brick with the top storey timber-framed and rendered. Slate roof with a modillion eaves soffit. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellars. 4 window range: 12-pane sashes to the 2nd storey, 16-pane to the 1st storey, marginal glazing bars to the ground storey, all in flush cased frames. Entrance door with 6 raised fielded panels in a wood doorcase with panelled pilasters and a triangular pediment. On the north, an attached elliptical-arched red brick carriageway with rusticated piers. A late C20 extension at the rear replaces a C19 boundary wall on the south. A stone tablet set into this wall has been re-set on the new building. It reads: THIS WALL IS THE ENTIRE PROPERTY OF THOS DE CARLE 11 SEPT 1830. INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: TL8568263886
Copyright IoE Mr John Rawlinson. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Rawlinson, John
Rights Holder: Rawlinson, John
Brick, Cement, Render, Slate, Timber, Stuart Timber Framed House, Georgian Monument <By Form>, Timber Framed Building, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Boundary Wall, Wall, Barrier, Boundary, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Hostel, Commercial, Residential Building