Church Of All Saints

Date:
3 Sep 2002
Location:
Church Of All Saints, The Green, Long Whatton, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire
Reference:
IOE01/07601/16
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

LONG WHATTON THE GREEN SK 42 SE 5/170 Church of All Saints 7.12.62 GV II*

Parish church. Late C12 - early C13 tower with C15-C16 upper stage. Remainder C14 in origin but much restored and partly rebuilt 1865-6. Rubble stone with slate roofs. Nave and aisles, south porch, tower at east end of south aisle, chancel, south vestry. Tower is of 3 stages with slender clasping buttresses to lower stage, and battlemented parapet. Bell-chamber openings are C15-C16 of 2 lights with cusped tracery, depressed arches and carved heads to stops and apices of hoodmoulds. East and west openings are transomed. Middle stage has east, west and north windows of c1200, each with 2 slightly pointed lights in an unmoulded semicircular arch. Central mullions take form of octagonal piers with small capitals. West window is blocked. South side of tower has later 2-light traceried window to lower stage. Remainder of church is in Decorated style with C19 traceried windows, off-set buttresses, and moulded plinth to nave and south aisle. Chancel and vestry have battlemented parapets. West end of church has 3 steep gables, each with 3-light window, the nave also with door in moulded arch. North aisle originally of earlier C14 date than remainder, with 3 2-light windows to north, 3-light east window, and small north door in chamfered arch.

Later C14 south aisle has 2 and 3-light windows and larger south doors in completely restored moulded arch. South porch is gabled, with gabled buttresses, chamfered arch on semi-octagonal piers, and small cusped side lights. Chancel has 2-light north window, single cusped light to south, and large 3-light east window. Vestry is C19-C20 with traceried windows and south door. INTERIOR: nave arcades have double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers.

North arcade, of 5 bays, has shorter arches and capitals of different design to those of taller 3-bay south arcade. C19 roofs, the nave with C19 clerestory of 2-light traceried dormer windows. Aisles each have a piscina, that to south with cusped ogee arch. Tower has lancet windows to lower and middle stages of west wall, and heavy double-chamfered arch to nave. Similar chancel arch with piscina and sedilia. FITTINGS; restored circular C12 font with frieze of diagonally crossed squares, in baptistery surrounded by traceried wooden screens of 1929. More traceried wooden screens at east end of north aisle, much restored but with some C15-C16 fragments. Chancel screens of similar date were brought from Colston Bassett,Notts, in 1894. Good pulpit of 1613 with carved arcaded panels, brought from Shefford, Berks 1897. Chair dated 1W 1655. Late C19-C20 glass.

MONUMENTS: to Mary Dawson 1779, in form of large white marble urn with flame finial and draped inscriptions, on marble pedestal with panels commemorating children. Other marble wall tablets, including one to Abigail Smith 1695.

Listing NGR: SK4823623320

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1384 IOE Records taken by Michael Merryweather; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Michael Merryweather. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Merryweather, Michael

Rights Holder: Merryweather, Michael

Keywords

Rubble, Slate, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument