This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL 85 NE HAWSTEAD CHURCH ROAD
5/51 Church House (Formerly listed as Church 14.7.55 Farm Cottages)
House, formerly the Guildhall of St. James; late C15. Formerly-open hall with service cell. 2 storeys. Timber-framed and rendered. Glazed pantiled roof, hipped at right-hand end; gable and rear chimneys of red brick. C19 and C20 casements; an originally-unglazed diamond-mullioned window at 1st floor. 4- panelled C19 entrance door with architrave. A 3-bay open hall; crown-post roof, the open trusses having arch-braced tie-beams and octagonal crown-posts simply moulded, with originally 2-way arch-bracing. A pair of arch-headed doorways lead from the cross-passage into the service rooms, one of which was unlit and probably used for storage, also acting as a lobby into the kitchen beyond to left. The kitchen fireplace, rebuilt C17 and later, occupied the gable end wall to left. Good close-studded framing throughout, well-exposed internally. A screen inserted into the crosspassage C16 (now missing), with gallery above and access formed from service end. Full 1st floor structure inserted into hall C17. Converted to workhouse C18. Restored to house from cottages c.1970. A feoffment dated 1478 refers to this site as "newly built upon". Suffolk Record Office, Bury St. Edmunds, ref. 2680/7/3.
Listing NGR: TL8557259196
This is part of the Series: IOE\Gallagher_Moira IOE Records for Gallagher, Moira; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
Copyright IoE Mrs Moira Gallagher. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Gallagher, Moira
Rights Holder: Gallagher, Moira
Brick, Pantile, Render, Timber, Medieval Timber Framed Building, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Open Hall House, Hall House, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Workhouse, Health And Welfare, Residential Building, Guildhall, Commercial, Civil, Meeting Hall, Public Building