Cullum House And The Old Primary School
- 13 Jul 2002
- Cullum House And The Old Primary School, Church Road, Hawstead, St Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP29 5NT
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
113/5/53 CHURCH ROAD 24-SEP-03 CULLUM HOUSE AND THE OLD PRIMARY SCHOO L AND OUTBUILDING ADJACENT TO THE REAR
II House, formerly school-house, and former schoolroom, with adjacent outbuilding. 1847. Y-plan; the schoolroom forms the long arm. 1 storey, and 1 1/2 storeys with attics. Flint rubble with red brick quoins and Flemish parapet gables. Fish-scale slated roofs with crested ridge tiles; axial chimney of red brick with 3 circular flues have diaper carved tiled shafts and moulded cap and base, plinth with band of diaper-patterned tiles. Hood-moulded 2-light windows with wrought iron casements having hexagonal panes; the schoolroom windows hood-moulded with triple small-pane sliding sashes. 1-storey Flemish-gabled entrance porch with hood-moulded doorway and carved limestone plaque above with coat of arms. Battened and boarded entrance doors.
Adjacent to the rear is an outbuilding, former the toilet block to the school. This forms a group with the house, is contemporary with it, and is single-storey. It is also of flint with red brick dressings and has a low-pitch hipped slate roof. It similarly has iron casements with hexagonal panes. Various doorways. Central brick stack with octagonal flue.
Listing NGR: TL8591759055
Copyright IoE Mrs Moira Gallagher. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Gallagher, Moira
Rights Holder: Gallagher, Moira
Brick, Flint, Rubble, Slate, Victorian School House, Education, Schoolroom, House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Coat Of Arms, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument