Church Of St Mary
- 20 Jun 2002
- Church Of St Mary, Fludges Lane, Beetley, Breckland, Norfolk, NR20 4HN
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TF 91 NE BEETLEY FLUDGE'S LANE (west side) East Bilney
3/9 Church of St.Mary 30/5/60
Parish church. Mainly mid to late C19 around a medieval core. Flint with ashlar and some brick dressings. Plaintile roofs. Western tower; aisleless nave with south porch, south chapel and vestry to north; chancel, erected in 1883 in memory of Henry Collison - rector. Lower 2 stages of unbuttressed west tower are the only recognizable medieval parts with a 3-light Per- pendicular traceried window and 3 twin lancet windows - formerly bell-openings.
Late C19 bell stage in Perpendicular style. 2 single light cusped nave windows to south and 2 2-light north windows in Decorated style. Chancel with 2 2- light windows in Decorated style and 2 single light cusped windows. Elaborate east window in Decorated style. Chamfered tower arch without responds.
Victorian chancel arch in Decorated style. Chancel stalls and pulpit contain re-used C17 carved friezes. Much Victorian glass. Plain octagonal font.
Listing NGR: TF9553419536
Copyright IoE Mr Cyril Bush. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Bush, Cyril
Rights Holder: Bush, Cyril
Ashlar, Brick, Flint, Tile, Medieval Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Place Of Worship, Parish Church, Chapel