- 11 Jul 2002
- Cemetery Chapel, Radwinter Road, Saffron Walden, Uttlesford, Essex, CB11 3JB
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL5438 RADWINTER ROAD 669-1/2/321 (South side) Cemetery Chapel
Cemetery chapel. 1857 by George Prichett. Ragstone, ashlar dressings, fishscale slate roof with cresting. Decorated Gothic style. 3 bays with NW bell tower incorporating porch. N elevation has 2-stage square tower with offset upper stage carrying open octagonal ashlar spire with gableted cinque-foil bell openings, offset buttresses with crocketted pinnacles, saltire weather-vane. Porch has segmental pointed arch with carved headstops, rib-vault with central boss and demi-angel corbels, single trefoil headed lancet under hood-mould with naturalistic foliage stops to W, pair of similar to E, pair of similar over entrance arch. Body of chapel has plinth, buttresses, two 2-light traceried window with carved headstops, all different. S elevation with 3 similar windows, 2 types of tracery. E wall has 3-light curvilinear window with headstops as before, floriated cross at apex of gable. W end similar. INTERIOR has arched braced king-post roof with foliate corbels, black and red ceramic tiled floor, pews with traceried end panels.
Listing NGR: TL5469338431
Copyright IoE Dr Tony Phillips. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Phillips, Tony
Rights Holder: Phillips, Tony
Ashlar, Slate, Victorian Cemetery Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Chapel, Place Of Worship