Church Of St Andrew
- 18 Jun 2002
- Church Of St Andrew, Rectory Lane, Mottisfont, Test Valley, Hampshire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
MOTTISFONT RECTORY LANE SU 3226 12/30 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. C12, chancel remodelled C14, all refenestrated C14 & C15, restored 1876 and 1888-90. Flint and rubble stone mostly rendered, stone dressings, old plain tile roof, shingled bellcote. Plan of chancel and nave, chancel rebuilt C14, refenestrated C15, nave refenestrated C14 and C15, C15 bellcote, C19 organ room and S porch. Chancel has to E cinquefoiled 3-light C15 window, traceried head and label, above overhanging roof with C19 truss, to corners stepped diagonal buttress. To SE blocked C15 window with label, in centre C15 squareheaded 2-light cinquefoiled window, traceried head, at W early C14 2-light trefoiled window, quatrefoil in head. To N at W opposite similar, at E C15 2-light cinquefoiled window, quatrefoil in head. In centre C14 priests door and C19 gabled organ room with Dec style lancets. Nave has at E on both sides C14 ogee-headed 2-light window, quatrefoil in head. On S in centre C19 gabled rendered porch, at W C14 pair of pointed lancets. At W end late C14 continuously ogee-moulded 2-order W door with label. Over C15 3-light cinquefoiled window, tracery in head and label with shield stops. On roof, square-plan bellcote, set back from gable 1/3 way up with tiled slope. 4-light high-set bell openings, hipped roof with weathervane.
Inside chancel windows have splayed rear arches, keel moulding to centre S window, pointed N door. Inside E window has C15 stained glass, restored larger lower figures, intact glass in traceried head and some in heads of side windows. Arch- braced roof with moulded wallplate and tiebeams. In SE 1586 monument of tombchest with 4 strapwork panels, above plinth, and inside an architrave row of kneeling figures and inscription panel over, either side decorated Ionic pilasters supporting decorated, topped by ogee-sided cartouche and 2 figure finials. Over N door tablet 1804 to Oliver Goodyer St John. On floor slabs: 1628 to William Sandys, brass inlaid plates in Purbeck Marble; beside slab with crests; 1684 to Francis Gofton; 1695 to Henry Cole; 1770 to Catherine Jones. Excellent c1150 chancel arch, roundheaded of 2 orders, square inner order, to W outer order of roll moulded and billeted order with chevrons outside,on cushion capital, plain shaft and moulded base. Abaci carried round but mutilated on face. Nave has splayed rear arch to N window, splayed flat arches to S windows, plain C12 roundheaded S door into vestry, later chamfered, and pointed W window and door. Under NE window arched tomb recess, under SE window ogee arched tomb recess. In SE rectangular niche.
Nave roof plain and W bay has 3 posts on each side with large arch-braces to support bellstage with 5 C17 bells. Memorial on S wall 1693 to Meinertzhagen family brought from Germany C19. Font in NW C12 square bowl on C19 base.
Furnishings C19 except early C20 Jacobean altar and pulpit. VCH; Vol 4; 1911; p508-9, Buildings of England; Pevsner; 1966 p340
Listing NGR: SU3201227629
Copyright IoE Ms Linda Taylor. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Taylor, Linda
Rights Holder: Taylor, Linda
Flint, Render, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Church, Stuart Place Of Worship, Jacobean Commemorative Monument, Georgian Commemorative, Victorian Gravestone, 20th Century Grave Marker, Funerary Site, Plaque