Church Of St Andrew
- 27 Jul 2002
- Church Of St Andrew, Tichborne, Winchester, Hampshire, SO24 0NA
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SU 53 SE TICHBORNE TICHBORNE
2/1 Church of St Andrew
5.12.55 I Parish Church, mid C11 plan with surviving chancel, late C12 nave and aisles, C18 tower and porch. Rubble flint and stone, stone and brick dressings, brick tower, old plain tile roof. On ground sloping down to E. C11 chancel has wide Saxo- Norman flat buttresses to corners and in centres of walls. On side walls a round headed double splay light. E window 6 1330 3-light with reticulated tracery and hood. Nave and aisles taller and high on E nave gable pair of round headed openings. E end of S aisle has C14 2-light window and N aisle has C14 3-light with C20 rebuilt head. S aisle has 2 C18 2-light round headed windows with brick dressings either side of porch and similar W window. Porch C18 gables, brick, with rounded head to C20 doors. N aisle has small round headed doorway with chamfer. Tower has tablet on S "1703 John Rowland, John Newell, churchwardens", blue header brickwork with some stone quoins and hipped roof with weathervane.
N C18 round headed door and W C20 C18 style 2-light round headed window. Stepped in upper stages with rebuilt C18 1 and 2-light rectangular bell openings and crennelations. Inside chancel, medieval stained glass fragments, including St.
Andrew, in head of E window. East side stone corbel. Below S window C13 piscina.
Good C17 altar rails. C14 roof hidden by canted ceiling with moulded wallplate, with at E tie across window. Plain pointed chancel arch. Nave has C13 2 bay S arcade with plain pointed single order arches and octagonal piers. In face of E respond is doorway to rood stair which is continued in thickness of wall. Steps to C18 round headed door to tower with 1733 Royal Arms. Memorial slabs: 1643 to Roger Diggens, 1745 to Thomas King. Panelled pews C17, repaired. S aisle has C14 pointed doorway with string and chamfer. C17 door. To W heavy C16 box pew and C12 font, round body, octagonal top. C18 cover. N aisle chantry chapel to Tichborne family, divided off by Elizabeth style railings. E window square headed with nook shafts, C14 rebuilt, to side piscina with bowl. Brass on floor 1519 to Anne Tichborne. On N wall memorials: 1621 to Sir Benjamin Tichborne and wife, 2 recumbent effigies with children below and canopy; 1619 to child Richard Tichborne; 1845 by J E Carew to Sir Henry Tichborne and on W wall monument in pointed recess 1835 to Henry Tichborne Doughty. 5 painted solid boards coats of arms. Roof has chamfered wallplate and ties supported on arch braces on corbels and 'crossed serpentine braces and wind braces.' VCH; 1908; Vol 3; p 337-8.
'Buildings of England'; N Pevsner; Penguin; 1966; p 621-2.
Listing NGR: SP6227835528
Copyright IoE Mrs Jennifer Rowney. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Rowney, Jennifer
Rights Holder: Rowney, Jennifer
Brick, Flint, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Early Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Brass, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Wall Monument, Commemorative Stone, Coat Of Arms, Weather Vane, Unassigned