Cross Approximately 9 Metres South Of Nave Of Church Of St Michael
- 3 Aug 2002
- Cross Approximately 9 Metres South Of Nave Of Church Of St Michael, Clyst Honiton, East Devon, Devon
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SX 99 SE CLYST HONITON CLYST HONITON
2/26 Cross approximately 9 - metres south of nave of Church of St Michael
Churchyard cross. Erected 1881 using a probably C15 shaft. Granite. The cross stands a little over 3m high. The medieval shaft is square in section at the bottom with chamfered edges with roll stops and it tapers slightly towards the top. The 1881 head makes it a plain Latin cross. The socket stone has a chamfered top edge and is inscribed. It records that the cross was restored in 1881 in memory of Abraham and Jane Smith of Treasbeare. The plinth is made up of 3 octagonal steps, the middle riser bearing a Biblical quotation. The shaft was apparently used as a seat at Treasbeare before the restoration of the cross here.
Source. Devon SMR
Listing NGR: SX9892993509
Copyright IoE Mr Barry F. Newbery. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Newbery, Barry F.
Rights Holder: Newbery, Barry F.
Granite, Medieval Seat, Tudor Unassigned, Cross, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Mixed Cemetery, Cemetery, Funerary Site