Church Of St Nicholas
- 27 Jun 2002
- Church Of St Nicholas, Bransdale, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO62 7JL
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BRANSDALE COCKAYNE SE 69 NW 3/15 Church of St Nicholas GV II Church. c1800; barrel-vaulted roof of 1886. Herringbone-tooled stone, with east end of squared stone; vertically tooled dressings. Stone flag roof with slate roofed porch. West tower; continuous nave and chancel; south porch. Single-stage tower with coped battlements over raised parapet band; round-headed louvred bell opening to south. To south, central gabled porch with round-arched opening. To each side, a round-arched window opening containing paired lights with cusped pointed heads. Raised eaves band. To north side, one similar window to west. East window is pointed, of 3 lights with cusped intersecting tracery. Coped gables and gable crosses to porch and to east end. Interior: reset sedilia on carved corbel head to south of sanctuary. Barrel-vaulted roof with painted bands of lozenge decoration.
Tub font on cylindrical pedestal. The church may be attributed on stylistic grounds to John Smith of Farndale whose construction of the Church of St Aidan, Gillamoor, is commemorated in that church. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, The North Riding, p 88.
Listing NGR: SE6204098442
Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Waby, Les
Rights Holder: Waby, Les
Slate, Stone, Georgian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship