Cowl House And Outbuildings
- 27 Jun 2002
- Cowl House And Outbuildings, Bransdale, Ryedale, North Yorkshire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BRANSDALE BRANSDALE SE 69 NW (west side) 3/5 Cowl House and attached outbuildings GV II House and attached barn, loose boxes and stables. 1745 on datestone, with early C19 extensions; house raised and remodelled c1830. For William Garbutt. House of hammer-dressed sandstone, partly on rubble footings, extension of herringbone-tooled sandstone; outbuildings of tooled and squared sandstone. Pantile roofs. House originally central-entry plan, later extended to left to link with detached barn; range of loose boxes and stables added to right. 2-storey, 3-window house front, with 2-storey, single-window extension to left; 1 storey barn further to left, on rising ground; l-storey range to right. Renewed 4-panel door beneath divided overlight to house, in chamfered openings with flush quoins; chamfered lintel inscribed "WG:1745" above. Windows are large pane horizontal sliding sashes with stone sills, 3-light to ground floor and 2-light to first floor.
Blocked fire window to end left. Jambs of ground-floor openings exhibit traces of chevron tooling; window lintels are vertically-tooled replacements. Extension has 2 board doors with 2-light, large-pane horizontal sliding sash to centre and similar window above, both with stone sills. Tooled wedge lintels to ground-floor openings. Portions of earlier diagonally-tooled lintels reused in masonry to left. Coped gable and shaped kneeler to right. End stacks to house and centre stack to extension, all with coved caps. Barn: board door with roughly tooled lintel, flanked by ventilation slits; pitching hole to first floor right. Coped gable and kneeler to left. Range to right: 3 doorways, one now blocked by 6-pane pivoting window, one with replacement stable door, all with roughly-tooled lintels. Square pitching hole with shutter to right. Interior of house.
Ground floor, room to left: chamfered beam and joists, the beam with run-out stops. Stone chimney-piece with plain jambs, coved imposts, flat lintel and fine moulded dentilled timber shelf. Extension: first-floor room has fireplaces with plain stone surround and shelf, with round-arch basket grate. Interior of barn: one upper cruck truss with crossed apex survives to left of door.
Listing NGR: SE6160496726
Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Waby, Les
Rights Holder: Waby, Les
Pantile, Rubble, Sandstone, Stone, Timber, Georgian House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Oubliette, Unassigned, Building, Cruck Barn, Timber Framed Barn, Timber Framed Building, Agriculture And Subsistence, Barn, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Stable, Animal Shed, Transport