Church Of St Peter

Date:
1 Jul 2002
Location:
Church Of St Peter, Church Lane, Hutton Cranswick, East Riding Of Yorkshire, East Yorkshire
Reference:
IOE01/07647/23
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
To ask us about this record, please make an enquiry.
Request a copy

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

HUTTON CRANSWICK CHURCH LANE TA 05 SW (north side) Hutton 13/21 Church of St Peter 20.9.66

- IT *

Church. C12 and C13 origins with C15 rebuilding and extensive restoration of 1875-6 by Ewan Christian. "1876" on rainwater heads. Sandstone ashlar with grey slate roof. 2-stage west tower, 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Tower: stepped and chamfered plinth. South-west stair turret. Angle buttresses with offsets to full height to west. West end has 3-light pointed window with Perpendicular tracery to head under hoodmould, partly recut. First-stage band. Second stage has slits and twin-light, straight-headed Perpendicular belfry opening to each side. Hollow-moulded band. Battlements with crocketed pinnacles to angles. Nave. C19 south porch to second bay has double-chamfered pointed arch under hoodmould. Within a plank door with mainly recut Norman surround: 2 orders of nook-shafts with recut capitals supporting an outer order of zigzag moulding and an inner order of roll moulding. South aisle has buttresses with offsets between bays and stepped plinth to third and fourth bays. To first bay and to west end are 2-light straight-headed Perpendicular windows under hoodmoulds. To third and fourth bays and to east end are 3-light, straight-headed windows with Perpendicular tracery to heads in double-chamfered surrounds, largely recut. Stepped eaves and shaped modillions. North aisle: chamfered plinth; buttresses with offsets between bays. To westernmost bay a C19 entrance: plank door in chamfered pointed surround under hoodmould. Otherwise pointed 3-light windows with trefoil and cinquefoil lights, mainly recut, in double-chamfered surrounds.

Stepped eaves and shaped modillions. Chancel: stepped and chamfered plinth.

South side has priest's entrance a plank door in 4-centred, chamfered surround. Otherwise pointed 3-cinquefoil-light windows in double-chamfered surrounds. North side. Vestry has pointed, chamfered entrance under hoodmould and to east a 2-light Perpendicular-style window. Otherwise chancel has pointed 3-cinquefoil-light window in double-chamfered surround.

Chamfered eaves and shaped modillions to both sides. To east end a 3-light, 4-centred window with Perpendicular tracery to head in double-chamfered cavetto-moulded surround under hoodmould. Ashlar copings. Cross at apex.

Interior: pointed double-chamfered tower arch. Pointed plank door in double-chamfered surround to bell tower. 4-'lay pointed double-chamfered arcades on cylindrical piers with roll-moulded bases and hollow-chamfered capitals, the central pier to both aisles is wider. 2 westernmost windows to south aisle have reused beak-head moulding to arch. Flower moulding to west end window of north aisle. To south aisle a piscina. Double-chamfered chancel arch on cylindrical responds with roll-moulded bases and hollow- chamfered capitals and with flower moulding to abaci. Plain chancel.

Monuments: to south aisle a 4-centred recess with weathered effigy. To north aisle a marble tablet with urns to Ann Awbrugh d1715. C19 octagonal font on 4 piers. Pevsner N, Yorkshire: York and The East Riding, 1978, p 290.

Listing NGR: TA0241453355

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Waby_Les IOE Records for Waby, Les; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Waby, Les

Rights Holder: Waby, Les

Keywords

Ashlar, Sandstone, Slate, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative