- 20 Jul 2002
- Bransdale Mill, Hodge Beck, Bransdale, Ryedale, North Yorkshire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
BRANSDALE HODGE BECK SE 69 NW (east side) 3/24 Bransdale Mill GV II Cornmill. C18; extended 1817; partly rebuilt 1842 (on datestone); restored C20. Extension and rebuilding by William Strickland. Herringbone-tooled sandstone with pantile roof. 2-storey and attic, single-window front, with single-storey and attic extension to left. Round-arched doorways of voussoirs flank 16-pane sash to ground floor of mill; similar window to centre of first floor. 2 small shuttered openings to attic. Windows have stone sills and heavy tooled lintels. Lintel to first-floor window is inscribed: "REBUILT 1842", and is flanked by tie rod ends shaped to form the initials W and S. Coped gables and coved cornice stack to end left.
Extension has board door with unequal 12-pane replacement sash to left and shuttered window to right. Small shuttered opening to attic. Shaped sill to left window probably a reused lintel. Rear: 2 storey, and attic, 3-bay front, built against the hillside. Central round-arched opening of tooled voussoirs to first floor. Shuttered openings to attic. Water from millpond entered wheel chamber through small opening to right of first-floor opening Powered grindstone installed at rear of mill in late C19 survives. Gable wall to extension: datestone inscribed: WS 1817.
Interior: wheelchamber to left reuses C18 wheel pit. Surviving cast-iron machinery comprises an overshot water-wheel with iron buckets, pitwheel, wallower, spur wheel and crown wheel. 3 stone nuts with wooden teeth and 3 sets of mill stones (without furniture). Banded French stones made by GEORGE MARIS of HULL in 1842; greystones inscribed "HS NIS 1870"; bluestones not inscribed. Square section main shaft and hexagonal sack hoist shaft.
In mill extension, wooden framework for an oat crushing mill with one pair of stones and a sifter. Corn was ground at Bransdale Mill until 1917; grist was ground until 1953. Mill under restoration by The National Trust at time of resurvey.
Listing NGR: SE6205597924
Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Waby, Les
Rights Holder: Waby, Les
Pantile, Sandstone, Stuart Corn Mill, Georgian Industrial, Mill, Industrial Building, Food Processing Site, Food And Drink Industry Site, Wheel Pit, Water Power Production Site, Power Generation Site, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Machinery, Water Wheel