Church Of All Saints
- 19 Aug 2002
- Church Of All Saints, West Wickham Road, Horseheath, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB1 6QA
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
HORSEHEATH WEST WICKHAM ROAD TL 6147 20/85 (North Side) Church of All 22.11.67 Saints I Parish Church. C14 and C15. Restored 1829 and 1883 and later. Flint, fieldstone and clunch and limestone dressings. Tiled roofs, leaded. West tower, nave, south porch and chancel. West tower of four stages with later stepped and embattled parapet. Main cornice with central gargoyles.
Restored C14 west window of two cinquefoil lights in two centred arch with original moulded and head mask stops. Lancets to each side of first stage.
Bell stage openings are of two cinquefoil openings in two centred arch with similar label. Aisleless nave, rebuilt later C15. Roof restored C18 and again C19. Original gable end visible in east wall of tower. C18 embattled parapet of red brick. North and south walls each have three transomed, three cinquefoil light windows in four centred arches. One window in south wall has modern commemorative glazing to Maud Borren. South porch much restored.
Inner arch of two continuous chamfered orders in two centred arch. Chancel, restored in C14 style with reticulated tracery to the windows. Interior: West tower arch has two chamfered orders in two centred arch, inner on half octagonal respond with capital and base. Reconstructed late C15 roof in four bays with moulded main beams and carved bosses at intersections. Blocked rood loft stair openings north of chancel arch. Chancel arch also C14 with similar chamfered orders in two centred arch but the inner order is on a respond of half round shaft with moulded capital and base. Monuments: in chancel on south side: Sir Giles Alinyton (d.1522) and his son Giles (d.1586). Stone and marble two tiers each with one recumbent effigy. Each tier is connected by short bulbous fluted columns. The superstructure has been removed. North side Sir Giles Alington (d.1613) and Lady Dorothy attributed to N. Johnson. Alabaster tomb chest with recumbent effigies and reliefs of the children kneeling to the front. Intact back architecture.
North side of chancel: stone wall monument Dorothy Wakefield (d.1622); William Elder 1709, marble wall monument.
Pevsner. Buildings of England p410 R.C.H.M. Record Card (1951) V.C.H. Cambs., Vol. VI, p78
Listing NGR: TL6137547447
Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Tree, Peter
Rights Holder: Tree, Peter
Brick, Clunch, Flint, Lead, Limestone, Rubble, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Effigy, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Chest Tomb, Tomb, Funerary Site, Wall Monument