Church Of St Mary

Date:
22 Aug 2002
Location:
Church Of St Mary, West Wickham, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire
Reference:
IOE01/07659/36
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
To ask us about this record, please make an enquiry.
Request a copy

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

WEST WICKHAM TL 6149 18/128 Church of St 22.11.67 Mary GV II* Parish Church. Mainly C14 with restoration of c.1900. Coursed flint with clunch and limestone dressings, tiled roofs. West tower, nave, south porch and north chapel and chancel. West tower of four stages, with blocked parapet and three-stage diagonally set buttressing. Restored reticulated tracery to west window. Newel stair turret in south west angle. Aisleless nave, c.1350 with south porch. South wall has three windows, restored, of cinquefoil lights. South porch has two centred outer arch of one continuous wave and one ogee moulded order. Inner archway of two continuous ogee moulded orders. Chancel: c.1320. Three restored windows of clunch, of two cinquefoil lights with reticulated tracery in two-centred arches. East window of similar period, restored. North chapel added C15. Two blocked windows, clunch, with vertical tracery. Blocked doorway on west side. North doorway to nave of clunch. Interior: two-centred west tower arch of three chamfered orders on high chamfered base. Roof in four bays. Braced tie beams and collar. Tie beam nearest chancel arch enriched with chevron ornament and the date 1615 is carved on it. North chapel now organ chamber.

Reset C13 arch of two chamfered orders on half octagonal responds. Chancel arch of two centred arch on three shaft responds. Chancel has moulded string at sill height and a label carried above the rear window arches and teminating in a mask head on either side of east window. Two niches flank the east window, each with trefoil head as is the arch to the piscina in the south. Monument: north wall of chancel. Henry Harrison (d.1690). Black marble tablet in bolection moulded frame flanked by Corinthian pilasters.

R.C.H.M. Record Card (1951) Pevsner: Buildings of England, p479



Listing NGR: TL6120649214

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Tree_Peter IOE Records for Tree, Peter; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Peter Tree. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Tree, Peter

Rights Holder: Tree, Peter

Keywords

Clunch, Flint, Limestone, Tile, Timber, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative