Stoke Dry House / The Old Rectory
- 21 Mar 2003
- Stoke Dry House, Stoke Dry, Rutland
- The Old Rectory, Stoke Dry, Rutland
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
STOKE DRY SP 89 NE 4/144 Stoke Dry House and The Old Rectory.
Former rectory, now 2 houses. 1841, by Bryan Browning, for the Reverend Charles Henry Swann, the SW block probably an extension of c.1855. Coursed ironstone rubble with pale limestone dressings; Collyweston slate roofs with coped gables and ashlar chimneys. Tall imposing block at SW end with bold features and Tudor hoodmoulds over openings; lower wing to NE in more reticent Tudor style. 2 storeys. Entrance front has tall block projecting to right. This has centre slightly advanced, with steep gable, narrow first floor sash, and gabled porch projection below. Porch has 4-centred arches to entrance and half-glazed inner double doors, the doors with blind tracery to lower panels. Above entrance arch and first floor sash are moulded stone lozenges in square surrounds. To left of centre is a high staircase window with pair of 4-centred arched lights containing marginally glazed sashes. To right of centre is a lateral chimney with pair of octagonal shafts. NE wing, to left, has 2 gabled bays and left bay with 4-centred carriage arch. Each bay steps forwards from left to right. Irregular windows with ovolo-moulded stone mullions. Tall narrow doorway in third bay with 4-centred arch, the door with Gothick panels and glazing bars. Outbuildings attached to left. Rear also irregular with gables and dormer gables, one shaped.
Listing NGR: SP8554396735
Copyright IoE Mr Keith Wise. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Wise, Keith
Rights Holder: Wise, Keith
Ironstone, Limestone, Lincolnshire Limestone, Rubble, Georgian Vicarage, Victorian Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Monument <By Form>