Church Of St John
- 21 Mar 2003
- Church Of St John, Church Close, Caldecott, Rutland, LE16 8RN
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CALDECOTT CHURCH CLOSE SP 8693-8793 11/9 10.11.55 Church of St John.
Parish church. Possibly C12 in origin, with late C13 nave arcade, C14 W tower with spire rebuilt 1797, S porch of 1648 and chancel rebuilt 1862-3. All severely restored and nave re-roofed 1864. Organ chamber/vestry added 1908.
Coursed ironstone rubble with some limestone to nave and aisle. Tiled roof to nave, lead roof to S aisle, Collyweston slates to chancel, porch and vestry. W tower, nave, S aisle with porch, chancel and vestry. W tower is of 3 stages with angle buttresses, chamfered plinth and strings, SE stair, and restored battlements with carved gargoyles. Octagonal spire with lucarnes. W window and bell-chamber openings are of 2 lights with tracery and arched heads, and W doorway has steep 4-centred moulded arch with hoodmould. Nave has clerestory of C15 windows with 4-centred heads and hoodmoulds, 3 2-light to S, one 2-light and one 3-light to N. Below on N side are another similar 3-light window and a C14 2-light window with tracery and arched head. Small N door in moulded 2-centred arch. S aisle has 2 windows of c.1300, each with 2 uncusped lights and quatrefoil above, the left with a scratched mass dial on one of the jambs. W end of aisle has later 2-light rectangular window; E end has another C15 window of 3 cusped lights with 4-centred head. Moulded S doorway in gabled ashlar porch with chamfered semi-circular arch. Chancel incorporates re-used windows, the S wall with transomed lancet, small Romanesque light and rectangular traceried window, the E wall having a 3-light window with intersecting tracery. All windows are much restored. Vestry has blocked arch to non existent N aisle.
Interior: Tall tower arch with double chamfered arch and jambs. 3-bay S arcade, the W arch separated from the others by a short length of wall. Arcade arches and chancel arch are double chamfered on octagonal piers or half-shafts with moulded capitals. SE corner of nave has remains of stairs with 4-centred archway to former rood. Restored piscina with moulded arch and hoodmould in S aisle.
Chancel has arch to organ chamber/vestry and an aumbry in N wall, and C13 moulded reveal to E window. In S wall are a piscina with Caernarvon arch, and good C13 sedilia with 2 chamfered arches and moulded capital to central column.
Fittings: Square stone font of c.1300 with low relief carving of blind cusped arch on each side, deeply chamfered corners with random geometric motifs, and moulded capitals of former shaft supports.
Listing NGR: SP8684093691
Copyright IoE Mr Keith Wise. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Wise, Keith
Rights Holder: Wise, Keith
Ironstone, Limestone, Lincolnshire Limestone, Rubble, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship