This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SY 78 SW POXWELL -
9/55 Nos. 5 and 6 (formerly listed as Pair of Cottages 26.1.56 150 yds NE of Village Pump) GV II
Pair of semi detached cottages, formerly used as a school.
1843. Dressed limestone walls. Thatch roof with gable ends, and gabled to front at centre, in projecting bay. Stone stacks with cornices at gable ends. 1 storeys. 4 windows, outer ground floor windows of 3 lights, rest 2 lights. Wood casements with glazing- bars. Ashlar stone voussoirs to ground floor windows, eyebrow dormers to outer windows and two 2 light casements in the central gable. Doors: No. 5 right of centre, wood and upper half glazed, C20. No. 6 has a single storey wing at rear with rendered stack on gable end. 2 and 3 light casements. Doorway on side wall has 2 leaf glazed doors, C20. Projecting thatch porch canopy carried on wood posts. (R.C.H.M. Dorset II, p. 262 (6)).
Listing NGR: SY7423884315
© Mr Ron Holmes. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Holmes, Ron
Rights Holder: Holmes, Ron
Limestone, Thatch, Victorian School, Education, Semi Detached House, Monument <By Form>, House, Domestic, Dwelling