Remains Of Old Church
- 8 Jun 2002
- Remains Of Old Church, Stockbridge, Test Valley, Hampshire, SO20 6EX
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SU 3535 & SU33SE STOCKBRIDGE STOCKBRIDGE (south side)
15/31 and 7/31 Remains of Old Church
Chancel of old church. Circa 1300, rest demolished c1866. Rubble flint mostly rendered with stone dressings and brick repairs. Chancel has C14 2-light trefoiled E window. To N small NE buttress, taller NW buttress and on wall memorials; C17 to Jones Cesom, 1737 to Anne Gauntlet, 1764 to Thomas Gauntlet, 1729 to Edward Avenvile, 1774 to John Attwood. S wall has low square opening with timber lintel at E with reset corbel blocks either side. To W late C13 pointed 2 chamfered order arch with hollow chamfered impost with bead, blocked in, orginally to S chapel. To W late C13 pointed, 2 order chancel arch with simply mounded capitals but carved breasts as stops to returns, and shafts with moulded bases. Arch blocked in but in centre reset C15 door of 2 moulded orders with C19 plank door with studs and straps each side short buttress.
Inside older large pointed rear arch to E window. Each side painted on wall achievements of royal arms, to S 'ER 1588', to N 'GR 1726'. In N Wall 2 blocked painted windows. Memorial on N wall 1683 to Mary Gibes. In SE is pointed niche with damaged piscina below. To W round arch with slight chamfer, possibly sedilion. Inside is square low window. C17 altar table. Roof has ceiling above cambered tie. VCH; 1911; Vol 4; p485.
Listing NGR: SU3549935143
Copyright IoE Mr George Ayres. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Ayres, George
Rights Holder: Ayres, George
Brick, Flint, Render, Rubble, Stone, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative