This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SY 7286-7386 BROADMAYNE MAIN STREET (north side) 11/5 Parish Church of 26.1.56 St Martin
Parish Church. Late C13 chancel, nave and south tower. Top stage of tower built or rebuilt late C15. Church extensively restored 1865-6 by J Hicks of Dorchester when north and east walls of the chancel and the chancel arch were rebuilt. North nave arcade and north aisle and north vestry built 1865-6. Squared and coursed rubble with ashlar dressings, all of Portland stone. Clay tile roofs with stone slate at eaves. Chancel: south wall has two C13 lancets, with a C16 doorway between with chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed head, now blocked.
The east wall has a restored triplet of C13 lancets, continuously roll- moulded internally. Rebuilt north wall has a reset C13 lancet. Nave, south wall, east window renewed 1980's to C14 design of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil in a two centred head. Western window C15, of two cinquefoiled lights in a square head with moulded reveals and label. West window is C15 of three cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a two centred head. The west doorway has moulded jambs and four centred arch with a label, with one surviving head stop. The north aisle has three windows. Reset in the east wall of the C19 north aisle is a C13 archway. South tower of two stages divided by a restored string, outside and 3 storeys inside. Projecting parapet wall and gargoyles.
Ground floor forms the church porch. South wall has a doorway of c. 1300 with chamfered jambs and a pointed arch of two chamfered orders, the inner order merging into the jambs, the outer continuous. Above the doorway is a later blocked window of one trefoiled light. The second storey has in the south wall a window of two paired pointed lights. The bell chamber has an early C16 window of two trefoiled lights in a square head with a label. Interior: roofs, of arch traced form carried on carved angel- corbels, C19. Fittings: font octagonal bowl of Portland stone with shafted angles, quatrefoil in each face, panelled stem and moulded base, C15. Piscina in chancel, c.1300. Nave, south wall, c.1300. Wall tablets in chancel, C19. (R.C.H.M. Dorset II, p.30 (1)).
Listing NGR: SY7284486645
© Rev Andrew Salmon. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Salmon, Andrew
Rights Holder: Salmon, Andrew
Ashlar, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument
Please update your browser
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.