This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SY 78 NW WEST KNIGHTON
6/81 Old Schoolhouse and Old School 26.1.56 II GV
Former Schoolhouse and attached School, now two private dwellings.
Dated HB 1865. Dressed stone walls and ashlar quoins. Clay tile roof with gable ends and gabled to front, stone gable copings and ovolo moulded kneelers. Stone stacks with heavy capstones at left gable, and at right inner gable. Schoolhouse: two storeys, three windows, 2 : 1 : 2, straight chamfered stone mullions with separate returned labels over, cast iron casements with lozenge pattern of glazing bars. Doorway at centre has a depressed arch head and straight chamfered jambs, plank door with strap hinges, separate label over. School: one storey, three windows, 3 : 2 cross transomed: 3 lights with separate returned labels. C20 metal casements with lozenge leaded lights. Projecting bellcote in bay 2 has weathered buttresses and capstones. Porch entrance at south end of front wall gabled with a clock in the gable, entrance has a two centred head and separate label, plank door C20.
Listing NGR: SY7332787679
© Rev Andrew Salmon. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Salmon, Andrew
Rights Holder: Salmon, Andrew
Ashlar, Stone, Tile, Victorian School, Education, School House, House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.