This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SJ 70 NE TONG C.P. NEWPORT ROAD (South-West side)
6/29 Former North Gates and Gatepiers - to Tong Castle with flanking Retaining Walls and Bollards, approximately 30 metres to South- West of The Old Post Office.
Gates, flanking walls, and bollards. Late C18 or early C19. 2 wrought iron gates with fleur-de-lys railings. Flanking walls: squared and coursed sandstone approximately 5 metres long and 1 metre high. Dentil brick chamfered coping, central segmental arched niches with flanking recessed Latin and Maltese crosses; square gate and end piers with dentil brick coping. Low flanking retaining walls, approximately 20 metres to left and 60 metres to right. Bollards on bank behind retaining wall, 4 to left of gates and 11 to right, with chain links between; cannon type with acanthus necking, finials, Durant shields with motto: "Heati qui Durant" ("Blessed are those who endure" or "Blessed are the Durants".) The bollards were brought from near the castle when it ceased to be lived in. The walls have similar details to that East of Convent Lodge (qv) entrance which are dated 1821, but if they date from the building of the Castle (qv) in 1765 they are probably by its Architect, 'Capability' Brown. G. Griffith, History of Tong and Boscobel, 1894, pp. 89-92 and pp.154-61; D. H. Robinson, The Wandering Worfe, Waine Research Publications, 1980, p.56.
Listing NGR: SJ7965507365