Church Of St Bartholomew
- 14 Jul 2002
- Church Of St Bartholomew, Newport Road, Tong, Bridgnorth, Shropshire, TF11 8PW
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SJ 70 NE TONG C.P. NEWPORT ROAD (South side)
6/27 Church of St. Barthelomew 26/5/55
Parish Church. Circa 1260, largely re-built c.1410, for Elizabeth de Pembruge, South Chapel of c.1515, and whole restored 1889 - 92 by Ewan Christian. Ashlar with lead roofs. 3 bay nave, 4 bay aisles extending Eastwards to form transepts, central tower and spire, South transeptal chapel, 3 bay chancel, and North vestry. Moulded cill string, continuous hoodmould, buttresses with set-backs and pinnacles above, parapet string, and battlemented parapet, except to aisles. Tower: 3 stages; square second stage with corner pinnacles, and chamfered corners to octagonal bell stage. String course, parapet string, battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles, and short spire with pinnacled gabled lucarnes, and finial with weathervane. 2-light second stage windows to North and South with hoodmoulds; 2-light louvred bell-chamber openings on cardinal faces with hoodmoulds. Nave and aisles: 4-light West window with panelled tracery, West doorway beneath with boarded doors, 2- light West aisle windows; South side; 4 bays; 2-light windows with quatre- foil tracery, 3-light East window with panelled tracery; 2 bay chapel projecting to right with 2-light 4-centred arched windows; South doorway in second bay from left with moulded arch and two C15 boarded doors; South porch with moulded arch and 2-light side windows; North side: 4 bays; 2-light windows, 3-light East window with panelled tracery, blocked door in second bay from West. Chancel: 3 bays, 3-light South windows with panelled tracery, 4-centred moulded-arched doorway beneath centre window with square head, and carved spandrels; two 3-light North windows, gabled vestry to North-East with 2-light North and East windows; large 5-light East window with transom and panelled tracery; North-East angle buttresses with 2 ogee-arched niches; one with C20 figure. Interior: 3 bay nave arcades with octagonal piers, moulded bases and capitals, double chamfered arches dying into responds, and hoodmoulds to South; double chamfered arches at East end of aisles and crossing, 5 bay C15 nave roof with carved corbels supporting cambered ties, moulded beams, and carved bosses; C15 lean-to aisle roofs; 5 bay C15 chancel roof; 4-centred moulded-arched vestry doorway with square head, and trefoiled panelled door with quatrefoil bottom panels, and 3 circular holes; 3 bay sedilia with cusped trefoiled arches; piscina with cinquefoil arch; evidence of former niches flanking East window; South (Vernon) chapel: moulded ogee- arched doorway with finial and 4-centred boarded door, fan vault with shafts and carved pendants, altar slab, piscina, aumbry, and inscription and remains of painted crucifixion on East wall. Fittings: parish chest dated 1625, carved coat of arms of 1814 in North aisle; C15 octagonal stone font with large stepped base, and carved trefoiled sides with shields; octagonal wooden pulpit dated 1629 with 2 tiers of arched panels, turned stem, and stairs with turned balusters; C15 North and South aisle screens of 5 bays with traceried lower panels, ogee lights with open panelled tracery, carved figures, and cresting; C15 chancel screen of 9 bays with traceried lower panels, ogee lights with open panelled tracery, carved friezes and cresting; C15 chancel stalls with 3-light traceried back panels, carved frieze, cresting, carved misericords, and desks with traceried panels and ends, and carved poppy- heads; 1899 sanctuary panelling; C19 reredos from Oberammergau; copy of parish map by Evelyn Knight of 1759 in North transept; c1600 vestment in vestry.
Stained glass: C15 in West window, with figures; East window of 1900 by Kempe. Exceptional series of monuments including: panel from a tomb chest on North wall with carved angel holding shield; C13 incised slab to priest in North transept; Sir Fulke and Lady Elizabeth de Pembruge (founders of the college) of 1408-47, alabaster chest tomb with 2 recumbant effigies and sides with single and double tiers of alternating arches; Sir Richard Vernon and wife of 1451, alabaster chest tomb with 2 recumbant effigies and sides with alternating saints and angels in canopied niches; Sir William Vernon and wife of 1467, chest tomb with 2 brasses and sides with carved quatrefoil panels; Ralph Elcott of 1510, brass of priest in South aisle wall; Sir Harry Vernon of 1515, chest tomb between South transept and Vernon chapel in panelled elliptical arch with canepied niches, chest tomb with 2 effigies, and sides with alternating angels and shields; Arthur Vernon, M. A. Cantab, of 1517, brass on floor of Vernon chapel, and canopied niche in the West wall with demi figure holding pen; Richard Vernon and wife of 1517, alabaster chest tomb with 2 effigies and sides with alternating angels and bedesmen; Humphrey Vernon and wife of 1542, incised slab on plain chest tomb; Mrs.
Wylde of 1624, kneeling figure on West wall of chancel; Sir Edward Stanley of 1632 and his parents Sir Thomas Stanley (1576) and Margaret Vernon, 2 tier table tomb with effigy of Edward below and black columns supporting top tier with effigies of parents and obelisks at corners; Elizabeth Pierrepont of 1696, relief portrait in medallion on North wall of chancel; George Durant of 1780, tablet at crossing with mourning woman below urn, probably by John Bacon. St. Bartholomew's church was largely re-built after the founding of a chantry college here in 1410 by Elizabeth de Pembruge; none of the collegiate buildings survive but the remains of almshouses still stand to the West (qv).Cranage, Vol 1, pp. 42-54; N. Pevsner, B.O.E.
Shropshire, pp. 301-4; G. Griffith, History of Tona and Boscobel, 1894.
Listing NGR: SJ7956507384
Copyright IoE Mrs Val Johns. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Johns, Val
Rights Holder: Johns, Val
Ashlar, Lead, Medieval Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Weather Vane, Unassigned, Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Chest Tomb, Tomb, Funerary Site, Effigy, Commemorative Brass, Table Tomb, Wall Monument, Coat Of Arms