Cow House Approximately 25 Metres To North West Of Acorn Cottage

Date:
17 Aug 2002
Location:
Cow House Approximately 25 Metres To North West Of Acorn Cottage, Offoxey Road, Tong, Bridgnorth, Shropshire
Reference:
IOE01/07683/24
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SJ 80 NW TONG C.P. OFFOXEY ROAD, Bishop's Wood (North side)

7/2 Cow House approximately - 25 metres to North-West of Acorn Cottage.

GV II

Cow House. Circa 1818. Coursed rubble with gault and grey brick window details,and old tile roof. Gothic style. 1 storey. Coped battlemented parapeted gable ends. 2 straight-sided arched windows with crude brick tracery flanking central blocked entrance with lintel and open straight- sided arched tympanum; inserted boarded door to right partly destroying the right-hand window. End elevations have large straight-sided arched blind windows with Y-traceried brick panels. Stone plaque to South inscribed: "RANDZ de VACHE". This is one of a series of eccentric outbuildings erected on the Tong Estate by George Durant the younger.

Acorn Cottage to South (not listed) is dated 1818. (qv. Pig Sty to North of Acorn Cottage, fowl house to West of Vauxhall Farmhouse, kennels to East of the Red House, etc.). G. Griffith, History of Tong and Boscobel, 1894, pp. 154-61; D. H. Robinson, The Wandering Worfe, Waine Research Publications, p.60.

Listing NGR: SJ8355809278

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1116 IOE Records taken by Val Johns; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mrs Val Johns. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Johns, Val

Rights Holder: Johns, Val

Keywords

Brick, Rubble, Tile, Georgian Cow House, Victorian Agriculture And Subsistence, Animal Shed, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument