This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SJ 80 NW BOSCOBEL C.P. -
3/81 Boscobel House
Farmhouse/hunting lodge. C16 farmhouse, remodelled as a hunting lodge for John Giffard between c.1600 and c.1630, extended in C19. Hunting Lodge.
Timber framed (close studding) almost completely hidden behind cement render, plain tiled roofs. 2 storeys with attic over cellar; 3 bays to west, lower gabled cross wing to left is the western bay of the C16 farm- house incorporated as a parlour to the lodge in late C18. The most prominent feature is a large side stack in the centre of the west elevation with offset to left and to right; the front of the stack is painted with decorative features including false lattice casements. Irregular fenestration, tall stair window to left above simple doorway, paired sashes of c 1816 to ground floor right with Gothick leading; gable end to south, slightly jettied to first floor and attic, has similar windows; angled turret at south east corner (formerly for a staircase?) also with Gothick sashes. Cross wing has C19 casements on each floor, wide 2 light segmental head on ground floor, projecting entrance to right with gabled timber lattice porch. To the rear the 2-storeyed C16 farmhouse projects to the east for 3 bays (the western bay is incorporated as a parlour in the hunting lodge); timber framed with square panelling and short tension braces, irregular fenestration; there are traces of a timber framed firehood in the east wall of the first bay from the west (where the farmhouse and late C18 parlour meet). To the north-east is a large C19 brick range with cross wing, painted black and white in imitation of timber framing.
The Interior of the hunting lodge was considerably altered during C19; much of the panelling and decorative plastered friezes probably date to this period. The principal room on the ground floor, known as the Dining Room, was possibly the original hall; C18 Purbeck Marble fireplace (after Batty Langley), its overmantel decorated with scenes of Charles II's escape from Cromwell's men, inserted on west wall; the so-called Oratory in the turret in the south-east corner is perhaps more likely to have been a closet and the position of the original staircase. On the first floor the right hand room has a small closet or garderobe to the left of the fireplace with its Delft tile surround; the 'hiding-place' in the floor of the closet is probably a C19 creation. The smaller room to the left, also panelled, was formed by partitioning off part of the larger room.
The attic is also now divided into 2 rooms; at the top of the stairs, which once continued to an upper garret, is the trap door to the secret cavity where Charles II is said to have spent the night after his flight from the Battle of Worcester in 1651; the inner room retains traces of wall painting. The house is set in a reconstructed formal garden, which retains a C17 viewing platform. The house is a Scheduled Ancient Monument in Guardianship. Boscobel House and White Ladies Priory, H.M.S.O. Guide Book (1965); J.J. West, Boscobel House, D.O.E. Guide Book (1981).
Listing NGR: SJ8375208243
© Mrs Val Johns. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Johns, Val
Rights Holder: Johns, Val
Cement, Tile, Timber, Medieval Timber Framed Building, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Elizabethan Farmhouse, Domestic, Agricultural Dwelling, Dwelling, House, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Hunting Lodge, Recreational, Hunting Site, Platform, Formal Garden, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.