Church Of St Peter
- 14 Jul 2002
- Church Of St Peter, Church Street, Alstonefield, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, DE6 2FX
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SK1255-1355 ALSTONEFIELD C.P. CHURCH STREET
9/20 Church of St. Peter 1.2.67.
Parish Church. Oldest parts are C12: partly rebuilt in C13 and C14; extended and repaired in C16; refurbished C17: re-roofed C18; restored 1870. Coursed limestone rubble and sandstone ashlar; slate roofs.
3 bay chancel, 4 bay nave, North and South aisles, West tower. Chancel: C13 lancets, one on North sideland 2 on South side; one early C14 2- light window on each side; plaques bearing initials 'L.B.' and the date '1590' refer to the rebuilding of the East wall of the Chancel by Lawrence Beresford; East window with reticulated tracery restored 1870. Nave: C16 clerestory window of 2 lights. North Aisle: Probably C16, 4-centred windows of 3-lights; porch of 1870, incorporating 3 fragments of Anglo- Saxon carved stone to C16 door with Tudor arch and returned hood mould.
South Aisle: C19 lancet at West end of aisle. C19 window at East end of aisle with cusped intersecting Y-tracery. C15 square headed windows to right of porch, hood moulds stopped by grotesque heads; C13 lancet to left of porch; gabled South porch of c1300 with pointed barrel vault and stone slate roof, buttresses to angles and sides, C12 South door reset. West tower: Late C16; 4 stages, angle buttresses; West door- way with deeply hollowed recess hood mould stopped with figures; spandrels decorated with shield and foliage, iron studded door; 4-centred West window of 3 cinquefoiled lights; third stage window to West has trefoiled ogee arch beneath square head; belfry string and belfry openings with Y- tracery; crenellated parapet with string course and corner crocketed finials. Interior: C14 South arcade and North arcade of c1500. C12 chancel arch of 2 roll-moulded orders springing from scalloped capitals on engaged columns. Tower arch has chamfered inner arch and ovolo moulded outer arch springing from semi octagonal piers with moulded capitals.
Open timber roof dated 1737 with tie beam and short king post and queen posts supporting a ridge piece and double purlins respectively, braces to the tie beam spring from corbels decorated with grotesque heads, foliage and fleurons; chancel has a C19 scissor truss roof. Fittings: C20 stone font; early C17 box pews bearing inscription: "JOHN BERESFORD / ROBERT BOSTORNE IS 1637 E.S."; Cotton family box pew at East end of North aisle with canopy.
heavily decorated and with family coat of arms; double decker pulpit (originally 3-decker) inscribed "ROBERT BOSTORNE / THOMAS . WESTON /ROGER .
YATE 1637 / CHURCH WARDENS." panelled with carved decoration. Balustraded altar rail probably late C17; balustraded West screen in South aisle and tower screen probably early C17. Double aumbry in chancel with roll moulded lancet openings, C13. At West end of North aisle are several fragments of carved Anglo-Saxon crosses, 2 stone bowls, possibly former fonts, several fragments of slim cylindrical columns or shafts; medieval coffin. Wooden plaque to Roger Farmer died 1682 on West wall of Chancel.
B.O.E. P. 54.
Listing NGR: SK1327755347
Copyright IoE Mr Adrian J. Chetwynd. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Chetwynd, Adrian J.
Rights Holder: Chetwynd, Adrian J.
Ashlar, Limestone, Rubble, Sandstone, Slate, Early Medieval Architectural Fragment, Unassigned, Cross, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Coffin, Funerary Site, Parish Church, Church, Place Of Worship, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument