This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
KIDSGROVE C.P. TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL SJ 85 SW
5/71 Harecastle tunnel portals s - and attached retaining wall
Canal tunnel portals and retaining wall. 1766-7 by James Brindley and 1824-7 by Thomas Telford. Brown brick with stone coping. Brindley's entrance is set back to the right and comprises a single rounded arch.
Telford's entrance to the left is also rounded and has a rusticated surround.
The two portals are linked by a C19 retaining wall which continues on the left hand side of Telford's entrance, flanking the east side of the canal for approximately 100 yards. It has regularly spaced pilaster buttresses, and links the former portals to Bridge No. 132 (q.v.). B.o.E.
p. 162; Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands 3rd edition (1985).
Listing NGR: SJ8372554155
This is part of the Series: IOE\Harrison_Stanley K IOE Records for Harrison, Stanley K; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
Copyright IoE Mr Stanley K Harrison. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Harrison, Stanley K
Rights Holder: Harrison, Stanley K
Brick, Stone, Georgian Canal Tunnel Portal, Transport, Tunnel Portal, Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier