Shropshire Union Canal Bridge Number 57 (High Bridge)
- 30 Jun 2001
- Shropshire Union Canal Bridge Number 57 (High Bridge), Sutton Upon Tern, North Shropshire, Shropshire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SUTTON UPON TERN C.P. SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL SJ 63 SE 3/127 Bridge No. 57 - (High Bridge)
Canal bridge. Circa 1830. Thomas Telford and Alexander Easton, engineers.
Dressed red sandstone with rock-faced and tooled ashlar dressings. Very tall elliptical arch with voussoirs, and raised impost blocks and keystone. Flat string course, and parapet with square end piers and rounded coping. Slightly battered and curved abutments. The bridge spans the canal within a deep cutting. This stretch of the canal was built as part of the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal (Act passed 1826, opened 1835), which was absorbed by the Ellesmere and Chester Canal in 1845 and eventually became part of the Shrop- shire Union in 1846. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands, pp.
183-9. Thomas Pellow and Paul Bowen, The Shroppie, A Portrait of the Shropshire Union Canal, (1985).
Listing NGR: SJ6971830709
Copyright IoE Mr Anthony J Dunford. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Dunford, Anthony J
Rights Holder: Dunford, Anthony J
Ashlar, Sandstone, Georgian Canal Bridge, Victorian Transport, Canal Transport Site, Water Transport Site, Bridge