- 6 Oct 2002
- Great Sandpits, Tirley, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TIRLEY - SO 82 NW 3/137 Great Sandpits
Detached house. Mid C17, early C18 and C19. Red brick, blue lias, red tile roof, brick stacks. L-shaped main body with limestone quoins, wing rear right largely rebuilt C19. C18-C19 extension set back right of main body. Two storey, 3-windowed facade lit by 3 and 4-light ovolo-moulded stone- mullioned windows, some with transoms. Early studded plank door off-centre right with decorative strap hinges within stone Tudor-arched surround with foliate spandrels, within C20 latticework porch. Window left of door blocked. Partly blocked window right of porch, brick inscribed George Smith July 19th 1774 within blocking, ovolo- moulded stone-mullioned window set lower down partly with blocking.
String between ground and first floor windows. Stone ovolo-moulded cross window with leaded panes lighting ground floor at left gable end. Four-light stone-mullioned window with transom windows above.
Two-storey extension right of main body lit by C20 two-light casements, band between ground and first floors.
Interior of front left-hand room: tie beams with bar stops.
Plasterwork between tie beams with simple combed decoration at margins and fleur-de-lys decoration at each corner, one fleur-de- lys restored C20 (q.v. plasterwork ceiling at The Great house, Hasfield). Open fireplace with small range and chimney crane.
House owned by William Hurdman in 1658 (q.v. monument in nave of church). (V.C.H. Glos., VOL.8).
Listing NGR: SO8338729658
Copyright IoE Mr John Keighley. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Keighley, John
Rights Holder: Keighley, John
Brick, Lias, Limestone, Tile, Stuart Detached House, Monument <By Form>, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument