Church Of St Mary
- 7 Oct 2002
- Church Of St Mary, Church Lane, Westcott, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SP 71 NW WESTCOTT CHURCH LANE
4/140 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. 1867. By G.E. Street. Coursed rubble stone exterior with stone dressings, coped gables and tiled roofs. Interior lined with pale red and yelllow brick but has some stone dressings. Nave, short narrow aisles, chancel. Austere in style with plate tracery.
Nave has moulded sill course and uncusped traceried windows, 3-light to W., 2 bays of 2-light windows to N. and S. Central bellcote with pyramidal tile roof and cast iron cross. One clerestory window to S.
with 4-light cusped wooden window in gabled dormer. S. door with chamfered arch in gabled porch. S. aisle to east of porch has 2 small quatrefoil windows and 2-light window with cusped tracery at E. end.
Similar 2-light windows to E. and W. ends of N. aisle. Both aisles share same roof pitch as nave. Chancel has off-set buttresses and windows with cusped tracery, 2-light to S., 3-light to E. Interior has unmoulded arches on circular piers with simply shaped caps, the N. arcade of 3 bays, the S. arcade of 2. Chancel arch similar but with attached shafts. Contemporary fittings with stone pulpit, low stone screen, and octofoil font. Mid C20 glass in E. window.
Listing NGR: SP7167417141
Copyright IoE Mr Stewart Martin Shaw. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Shaw, Stewart Martin
Rights Holder: Shaw, Stewart Martin
Brick, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Victorian Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Cross, Bell Tower