This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 4479 PLUMSTEAD ROAD SE18 (North side)
786/9/10066 Royal Arsenal East Riverside Guardroom 08/06/73
Guardhouse. 1814, possibly by James or Lewis Wyatt. Yellow and red stock brick with limestone ashlar cornice and parapet, and C20 flat roof. Octagonal single-room plan. Single storey; 8-bay range. Plinth, cornice and blocking course, the sides have rubbed brick segmental-arched recesses, the S entrance bay has an inserted mid C20 doorway, other sides have segmental-arches to 6/6-pane sashes, mostly blocked. Interior not inspected. Historical note: One of a pair which flanked a flight of steps up from the river, originally the main entrance to the Arsenal. Formerly had an 8-sided hipped roof and central stack.
(Wesley H, The Royal Arsenal: a brief history, London, 1987, p.15; RCHME report)
Listing NGR: TQ4295478475
This is part of the Series: IOE\Hussey_John IOE Records for Hussey, John; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
Copyright IoE Mr John Hussey. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Hussey, John
Rights Holder: Hussey, John
Ashlar, Brick, Limestone, Georgian Arsenal, Industrial, Armament Manufacturing Site, Defence, Armament Depot, Military Depot, Guardhouse, Military Support Building, Military Building