Royal Arsenal Dial Square Block Front And Parts Of Return / Royal Arsenal Dial Square Entrance Range

Date:
2 Oct 2002
Location:
Royal Arsenal Dial Square Block Front And Parts Of Return, Plumstead Road Se18, Woolwich, Greenwich, Greater London, SE18 4BG
Show all locations
Royal Arsenal Dial Square Entrance Range, Plumstead Road Se18, Woolwich, Greenwich, Greater London, SE18 4BG
Reference:
IOE01/07718/24
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
To ask us about this record, please make an enquiry.
Request a copy

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

TQ 4479 PLUMSTEAD ROAD SE18 (North side)

786- /9/47 Royal Arsenal Dial Square entrance 08/06/73 range

GV II*

Archway and front range to foundry , gun boring works and smithery, later ordnance works. 1717- 20, attributed both to Sir J Vanbrugh and to Nicholas Hawksmoor; 1896 cartridge factory. Red brick with rubbed brick headers hipped slate roof Single-depth plan front range to former quadrangle. Single storey with attics to end blocks; 9-bay range. Symmetrical with central gateway and gabled ends set forward, articulated by shallow buttresses which rise through the eaves with plain caps. Gateway has large square battered piers with moulded caps and pyramids of cannon balls on top, a gabled round-arched gauged brick gateway with blocked voussoirs and a sundial dated 1764. At the back of the archway a 3-centre arched cast-iron beam, dated 1780 at one end and inscribed with the names of former Inspectors of Artillery and of the Royal Brass Foundry between 1797 and 1855. Linking 3-bay sections have 2 segmental-arched sashes with thin glazing bars, the inner bays have an inner doorway and overlight, the outer ones with a central round-arched window and flanking flat-headed 6/6-pane sashes. End gabled bays have 2 sashes and a round-arched frieze beneath the gable and a smaller segmental-arched attic window. Rubbed brick heads to 6/6-pane C19 sashes. Rear altered, the 3 E bays open with late C19 cast-iron columns. INTERIOR: altered with the removal of most original features. HISTOR Y: With the Royal Brass Foundry and the Board Room (qqv), part of the expansion of the Arsenal when the Board of Ordnance moved gun founding to Woolwich, and known as the Great Pile. Originally fronted a double courtyard range of buildings, the inner Grand Square was for turning, washing, engraving and smitheries, the rear Basin Square having armourers' shops and accommodation. It contained horse-powered cannon-boring equipment, to which cannon cast at the nearby Royal Foundry (qv) were sent. Graded for its significance in marking an important phase in the development of the C 18 and C19 factory. (RCHME, Historic Buildings Report, Royal Arsenal Woolwich, Vol. I, 1994; Wesley H, The Royal Arsenal: a brief history , London, 1987, pp.3, 11; Hogg O F G, The Royal Arsenal, Oxford, 1963, pp. 252-273; Pevsner N and Cherry B, The Buildings of England: London South, 1983, p.287)



Listing NGR: TQ4373179041

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Hussey_John IOE Records for Hussey, John; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr John Hussey. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Hussey, John

Rights Holder: Hussey, John

Keywords

Brick, Slate, Stuart Blacksmiths Workshop, Georgian Industrial, Metal Workers Workshop, Craft Industry Site, Workshop, Industrial Building, Gate, Unassigned, Gate Pier, Munitions Factory, Armament Manufacturing Site, Factory, Foundry, Engineering Industry Site, Arsenal, Defence, Armament Depot, Military Depot, Arch, Monument <By Form>, Sundial, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Ornament, Ordnance Factory