Parish Church Of St Mary
- 6 Dec 2002
- Parish Church Of St Mary, Riseholme Lane, Riseholme, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SK 97 NE RISEHOLME RISEHOLME LANE
4/59 Parish Church of 30.11.66 St. Mary
Parish church. 1850. By S.S. Teulon. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, decorative plain tiled roof with raised stone coped gables. Nave with western bellcote, south porch, vestry and chancel. The fenestration is in a Victorian curvilinear decorated style. The west end has a slightly projecting bay, marked by stepped buttresses, which rises to form a gabled bellcote. The west window is of 4 lights and above is a plain opening with cusped head. The north nave wall has stepped gabled buttresses, at the west end is a single light window and to the east are 3 windows of 2 lights. The projecting vestry at the east end has angle buttresses and an off centre pointed and moulded headed door with to west a cusped headed light and above a bulbous triangular window containing mouchettes. To the chancel north wall is a 2 light window and at the east end is a large 5 light window. Beneath is a foundation stone laid by John Kaye, Bishop of Lincoln, of 1850. Chancel south wall has one 2 light and a 3 light window. The nave south wall matches that to the north but has a projecting gabled porch with a pointed moulded outer arch with drip moulded label stops and cusping to the underside of the head. There are single bulbous triangular lights to the side walls and the inner arch is also pointed and moulded, without capitals. The planked doors have original foliate decorative ironwork. Interior. At the west end the window has a larger rear arch with nook shafts. The chancel arch is in a C13 style with filleted responds, annular capitals and moulded pointed head. To left is a trefoil headed light to vestry. The nave has a fine hammer beam roof with moulded principals and corbels having ball flower ornament. To vestry, north side of chancel, is a moulded archway. The east window has rear arch with nook shafts. The chancel has arch braced roof with moulded principals and corbels. All fittings, including the handsome octagonal font and the stained glass in the chancel are c.1850. In the chancel is a fine encaustic tiled floor with tiled inscriptions to the risers of the chancel and sanctuary step. This church was founded by Bishop John Kaye D.D. of Lincoln.
Listing NGR: SK9836475665
Copyright IoE Mr Roger H Mockford. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Mockford, Roger H
Rights Holder: Mockford, Roger H
Ashlar, Limestone, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Victorian Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship