- 15 Jul 2002
- Penlee Lodge, Maker With Rame, Caradon, Cornwall, PL10 1PJ
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SX 45 SW MAKER-WITH-RAME CAWSAND
9/84 Penlee Lodge
House, originally gatehouse for Mount Edgcumbe estate. Circa 1860, built on basement storey of Napoleonic fortification, with addition of late C20 and alterations.
Rubble, painted basement, rendered above, with concrete tiled hipped roof with paired stacks to front and rear.
A square circa 1860 tower built on the plinth of a Napoleonic fortification. There is a stair tower at the rear and the entrance was probably at the front, which is now concealed by a C20 2-storey addition. A new entrance was formed on the left side.
The building is said to have been reconstructed 3 times in the course of C19 building, with the result that the staircase was omitted, and added to rear after completion. Italianate belvedere style tower, similar to Tower Cottage, Cremyll (q.v.), also built in basement storey of C18 fortification. 1-3 West Park Cottages (q.v.) has similar basement storey.
3 storey tower on basement without cellar. Front has 2-storey C20 block projecting to front, 2 round-headed windows to front and glazed lean-to, flat roof with railings. 2nd floor of tower has 3-bay arcade of round arches, with plain columns on plinths, blind windows, deep eaves on brackets; one window to front left with C20 glazing. At right side, the addition to left has 2 stepped lancets at ground floor, round-headed window at first floor and band course. Ground floor of tower has paired round-headed lights with central column and engaged columns to sides, 8-pane lights, 2 stepped lancets above lighting stair. Rear block to right has lancet at ground floor lighting stair, band course and parapet. All blind windows at 2nd floor. At this side, the basement storey has pronounced batter, with bull nose moulding. The moulding has been partially removed to front, inside the addition. Left side has round-headed door with cover strips, small round-headed light to right, band course, 2 single round-headed lights at first floor all in addition to right. Tower has one window at ground floor, 2 at first and 2nd floors, all paired with central column, round heads, larger at ground floor. Catslide roof over stair block to left.
Battered basement and bull nose moulding. Rear has 3-bay blind arcade at 2nd floor as to front, round-headed doorway and round-headed recess at ground floor, lancet and ramped band course. Bull nose moulding continued over battered basement storey.
Interior: Ground floor room in tower has windows with central pilaster and Greek key moulding. The entrance may originally have been to front, reset to left side when addition made to front.
Listing NGR: SX4316050253
Copyright IoE Mrs J E Pollard. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Pollard, J E
Rights Holder: Pollard, J E
Concrete, Render, Rubble, Tile, Stuart Fortification, Georgian Defence, Gatehouse, Unassigned, Building, House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling