Church Of St Mary

Date:
13 Jun 2002
Location:
Church Of St Mary, Church Road, Little Bromley, Tendring, Essex
Reference:
IOE01/07724/07
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
To ask us about this record, please make an enquiry.
Request a copy

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

TM 02 NE LITTLE BROMLEY CHURCH ROAD

3/107 Church of St. Mary 17/11/66 - II*

Parish church. Early C12 Nave. The Chancel was rebuilt C14, lower stages of West Tower early C15 with the upper stage rebuilt C16. South porch C16. C19 and C20 restorations. Puddingstone rubble, part plastered. Stone dressings.

Red brick to upper stages of West Tower. Red plain tiled roof. Chancel.

Plastered plinth. Splayed angle buttress. Stepped chimney stack to west of north wall. Memorial plaque, east wall to John Risbie 1761, Elizabeth Risbie 1773 and seven of his children. East window of 3 pointed lights, intersecting tracery, 2 centre arched head. Wooden crucifix to gable apex. North wall windows of one trefoiled light. South wall, eastern window of one cinquefoiled light. Low set trefoiled western window. Between these windows is a moulded 2 centre arched doorway with a plank and muntin door. Nave, north wall eastern window of 3 cinquefoil lights, moulded segmental head. C12 round headed western window. To west of this is the C14 blocked north doorway with chamfered 2 centre arch. South wall, C15 window of 3 cinquefoiled lights in a 4 centred head with a C12 round headed window to west and east, the latter blocked. Below the western window is a memorial dated 1775. South doorway C14, moulded 2 centred arch, label with headstops, graffiti on jambs. Nailed plank and muntin double doors with strap hinges, C16. Royal Arms of Hanover above door, said to be cast by Wallis and Coleman who owned the first Colchester Iron Foundry. C16 timber framed and plastered South Porch with arched braces to tie beams and arch braced roof structure, side lights to returns. West Tower of 3 stages, the upper crenellated and of C16 red brick. Stepped angle buttresses. Plinth. Bands to parapet and second stage. Early C16 2 light cinquefoiled windows, tracery over, 2 centred heads and stopped labels to each face of bell chamber. Rectangular stair turret with small lights to second stage of south wall. Round headed light to secondstage of north wall, C15. Cinquefoiled 3 light west window with vertical tracery, segmental pointed head, label with head stops. C15 west doorway, moulded jambs, 2 centred arch, square head, label with head stops and sunk spandrels. Double vertically boarded doors with upper lights. Interior.

Probably C19 Nave and Chancel boarded barrel vaulted roof, moulded octagonal king posts, crenellated wall plates, original wall plates to Nave. Chancel. Red tiled floor to Sanctuary, stone slabs elsewhere. C14 Piscina, moulded jambs, 2 centred arched head, quatrefoil drain. Stone shelf with moulded soffit to north wall. Circa 1700 altar rails with turned balusters and moulded rails. Circa 1926 panelled reredos. Circa 1914-18 War memorial. C20 stained glass to north and south depicting Archbishop Laud and King Charles, reading "Remember Charles Stuart, King and Martyr 1649". No Chancel arch. Nave. Panelled oak pulpit.

C20 stained glass to windows. 1806 charity board relating to bequest of ?10 from Mr. John Barton to"the poor of Little Bromley. Chamfered segmental rear arches to north and south doorways. West Tower, chamfered 2 centred arch, date uncertain. C15/C16 octagonal font, the side carved alternately with roses and symbols of the Evangelists, soffit with 4 angels holding hearts or shields. 4 buttresses to stem, chamfered base. 2 centred stair turret doorway, nailed and edged door with scutcheon plate and handle. Solid tread lower stairs to turret.

Round headed rear arch to west doorway. Organ loft with 5 shields of arms to front of gallery. The organ, hand pumped said to be circa 1820. 4 bells. The 2 oldest said to be the work of Robert Burford of London circa 1392-1418, their legends read "Sancta Katerina Ora Pro Nobis" and "Sit Nomen Domini Benedictom", the other 2 were cast circa 1898, Bowell and Son of Ipswich to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TM0917527821

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Foster_Bob IOE Records for Foster, Bob; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Bob Foster. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Foster, Bob

Rights Holder: Foster, Bob

Keywords

Brick, Plaster, Pudding Stone, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Timber, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Plaque, War Memorial, Graffiti, Unassigned, Decorative Surface