Ruins Of Church Of St Peter

Date:
14 Jun 2002
Location:
Ruins Of Church Of St Peter, Ford Lane, Alresford, Tendring, Essex, CO7 8AX
Reference:
IOE01/07725/02
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
To ask us about this record, please make an enquiry.
Request a copy

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

ALRESFORD FORD LANE TM 02 SE (west side)

3/13 Ruins of Church of St.

17.11.66 Peter

- II

Former parish church destroyed by fire 1971. C13 origin with C14 and C19 features. Plastered rubble walls, Roman brick and tile quoins, stone dressings.

Roofless, only the walls of the Chancel, Nave, North Porch and South Aisle remain. Chancel. East wall with angle buttresses, 2 centred arch east window, remains of quatrefoil tracery, label with king and queen stops. South wall east window 2 centred arch, remains of tracery. Red brick jambs of former doorway to west of this window. North wall. Two 2 centred arch windows with trefoil tracery, between these windows a Caernarvon headed doorway. Nave. North wall, two 2 centred arch windows, remains of tracery, buttress to east end. C14 2 centred arch north door, chamfered of 2 orders. Gabled north porch with 2 centred archway. West wall. Roman brick and tiled quoins, 2 centred arch window. Label over. South aisle. West wall curved triangular window with trefoil. South wall, to west a 2 centred arch doorway, to east two 2 centred arch windows. East wall, C19 segmental headed doorway. Internally few features remain there is a 2 centred arch piscina with quatrefoil drain to south wall of Chancel. C19 coloured tiles and brick and stone floor tiles to Sanctuary and Chancel. Brick window splays, stone jambs to Chancel arch. South east wall of Nave has a Caernarvon headed doorway with corbel below, possibly leading to C19 vestry or former rood loft stairs. There is a small blocked roundel to north of west wall apex and traces of a similar roundel to south of the apex and a red brick north jamb to south doorway. The south aisle western angle has trefoiled stone panelling to plinth. Kelly's Directory 1912 states the building was erected by Anfrey de Staunton circa 1300 as did appear by his epitaph in Norman-French in the Chancel. RCHM 2.

Listing NGR: TM0648220666

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Foster_Bob IOE Records for Foster, Bob; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Bob Foster. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Foster, Bob

Rights Holder: Foster, Bob

Keywords

Brick, Plaster, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative