This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
In the entry for
SIBSON-CUM-STIBBINGTON WANSFORD London Road 9/155 (east side) 25.9.51 The Haycock Inn (formerly listed as Haycock Hotel) GV The address and description shall be amended to read:
TL 0698 SIBSON-CUM-STIBBINGTON WANSFORD London Road 9/155 (east side) 25.9.51 The Haycock Hotel GV
Lines 18/19 shall be amended to read: "(Some blocked windows include 2 with imitation glazing bars)"
SIBSON-CUM-STIBBINGTON WANSFORD TL 0698 LONDON ROAD (East Side) 9/155 The Haycock Inn (formerly 25.9.51 listed as Haycock Hotel) GV II* Hotel formerly a posting house and coaching inn. Early C17 (dated stone '1632' not in situ), later C17 with C18, C19 and C20 additions and alterations. Coursed limestone rubble and freestone with freestone and ashlar dressings. Collyweston stone slated roofs. Two storeys with cellars and attics and lower ranges and outshuts. Original H-plan with cross wings to north and south, and with later C17 eastern ranges projecting from cross wings partly enclosing a courtyard to the rear, open galleried C18 addition to east side of main range later infilled, C18 kitchen to south-west, late C19 alterations include blocking main archway and adding a porch to the west.
West elevation: Symmetrical, with wings each of two bays and main range of five bays. Two rusticated ashlar ridge stacks to right and left hand with smaller ridge stack to left of centre. parapet gables with moulded edges to flat copings and console bracket kneelers; coved plastered eaves cornice rising from moulded string continuous across gables; cyma moulded string course between floors and chamfered plinth. Former arch visible behind ashlar porch with classical details matching late C17 mannerist style pedimented first floor window. Moulded stone architraves with flat arches and stone cills to all windows with C18 twelve-paned hung sashes (some blocked windows include one with imitation glazing bars); five segmental headed casement dormer windows with lead roof covering. Interior: Original plan and details altered, two very fine closed string oak staircases, partly rebuilt with turned balusters; some blocked original windows and two original chimney pieces (RCHM). Building repairs and alterations are recorded in the Bedford Estate records for 1828, 1837-8-9.The Haycock was formerly The Swan Inn and is recorded in 1571; Celia Fiennes visited The Swan in 1698 and recounts the story of the haycock in her journal. The inn became a private house in 1887 and a hunting lodge for Wm Cavendish, third Baron Chesham,in 1899; it reopened as an inn in 1928.
Bedford Estate Maps. 1780, 1818, 1838. Bedford R.O.
Builder. 1906 RCHM Huntingdonshire p.233, VCH Huntingdonshire p.217 Pevsner Buildings of England p.361 Gilbert, J L Stibbington Church and Parish, 1978
Listing NGR: TL0759899073
This is part of the Series: IOE01/2118 IOE Records taken by Richard S Walker; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England
© Mr Richard S. Walker. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Walker, Richard S.
Rights Holder: Walker, Richard S.
Ashlar, Freestone, Limestone, Rubble, Stone, Tudor Inn, Elizabethan Commercial, Domestic, Residential Building, Coaching Inn, Post Office, Communications, Postal System Structure, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Kitchen, House, Monument <By Form>, Dwelling, Hunting Lodge, Recreational, Hunting Site, Agriculture And Subsistence