Parish Church Of St Mary
- 15 Jun 2002
- Parish Church Of St Mary, Haddon, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
In the entry for:-
16/95 Parish Church of St Mary
"Chared roof has concrete interlocking tiles; south transepts has welsh slate roof" shall be added to the description as an eighth sentence.
HADDON HADDON TL 1292 16/95 Parish Church of St Mary 13.12.57 II* Parish church. C11 east nave wall, C12 chancel arch. Early C13 north aisle, arcade and transept, mid C13 south aisle, arcade and transept reducing width of nave from south, north porch possibly added and chancel rebuilt and widened to south. C16 clerestory and west tower built over former west extension of nave. Restoration and rebuilding in C16 and later, and 1897 and 1901. Walls of rubble with bands of ashlar limestone and dressings of Barnack limestone.
Roofs of Collyweston stone slates and lead. South elevation: West extension of nave with C16 tower of one stage above with an embattled parapet and belfry window of two four-centred lights in a square head with moulded label. Nave parapet continued along west extension, three clerestory windows each of two squared-headed lights. South aisle mid C13, two-centred arched south doorway of two chamfered orders, the inner continuous and the outer resting on detached shafts with moulded capitals and bases; to right hand a C15 window of three cinquefoiled lights in a segmental-pointed head with moulded label and mask stops. South transept with large early C14 window of three trefoiled or ogee lights with interlacing tracery in a two-centre head with moulded label and mask stops. Chancel, two windows similar to window of north wall, C13 of two pointed lights and tympanum in a two-centred arch (the north window tympanum with carved foliate cross). Interior: Nave arcades of three bays, north arcade with round arches of two chamfered orders, octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases and responds with short shafts resting on corbels carved with three mask stops; the south arcade columns have nail-head ornament and 'hold-water' bases. West extension arch of two chamfered orders with plain square responds. C12 chancel arch, round of two moulded orders, the inner order with large soffit roll and outer order with semi-octagonal moulding with diaper carved ornament repeated on chamfer of jamb with an inner half-round shaft and free shaft with cushion on scalloped capitals and chamfered abaci. Recess for seats. Flanking chancel arch on east side.
Square headed recess in chancel; piscina in south transept with chamfered two-centred head C13. Masonry seating against west walls of transepts and aisle walls. Nave roof with some early C16 material, carved figures on corbels of east truss, on soffit of roof four angels holding shields and several carved bosses. North transept roof C16 or later with moulded principals and rafters with a pierced pendant; south transept roof with embattled north cornice, otherwise modern. Painting above chancel arch, C15, fragmentary,of a 'majesty' figure seated on a rainbow. For monuments and floor slabs see RCHM and VCH. Font, plain octagonal bowl on a modern stem and base. Memorial glass by Kempe.
RCHM Huntingdonshire p123 VCH Huntingdonshire p183 Pevsner Buildings of England p257
Listing NGR: TL1343692489
Copyright IoE Mr Richard S. Walker. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Walker, Richard S.
Rights Holder: Walker, Richard S.
Ashlar, Concrete, Lead, Limestone, Lincolnshire Limestone, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Tile, Early Medieval Parish Church, Medieval Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative