Parish Church Of St Remigus
- 21 Jun 2002
- Parish Church Of St Remigus, Old Great North Road, Water Newton, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE8 6LU
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WATER NEWTON OLD GREAT NORTH ROAD TL 1097 (North Side) 12/161 Parish church of St Remigus 13.12.57 GV II*
Parish church. C12 stones reused. C13 chancel and south aisle, mid C13 north aisle and lengthened have. Early C14 west tower, and south aisle rebuilt and possibly widened; south porch added. Nave clerestory C14. Alterations in late C14 and C15 include remodelled doorway to tower and closing the west end of the north aisle. Restoration 1887, chancel arch, and north arcade and aisle rebuilt. Walls of limestone rubble with Barnack dressings and ashlar limestone. Roofs of Collyweston stone slate and lead. South elevation: West tower of two stages with corbel table with mask-corbels and small carved animals at base of spire; reset lancet window and belfry window of two pointed lights cut into round arches with detached shafted jambs and chevron ornament, (on west wall a niche with moulded jambs, two-centred head and label with figure of a man, on inscribed panel below 'Vous ke par issi passey pur le alme Thomas Purdeu priez'). Spire of ashlar, with two ranges of lights, the lower of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a gabled head, the upper, a single light with trefoiled gabled head, restored top of spire. Nave clerestory, three windows each of two pointed lights in two-centred arches with moulded labels and mask and head stops; late C13 south doorway with two-centred arch of two moulded orders with moulded label and mask stops; three mid C14 windows each of two square-headed lights. South porch with two-centred outer archway of two chamfered orders with moulded label and mask stops, responds with attached shafts and moulded capitals and bases, gable with carved apex stone. Chancel:three windows, two mid C14 with two square-headed lights moulded labels and mask stops, low-side window of one square-headed light; mid C14 doorway with chamfered jambs and segmental head, earlier windows jambs visible. Interior: Nave arcades of three bays; north arcade C13 restored 1887 with round arches of one chamfered order with plain labels, octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases; south arcade, two eastern bays early C13 with arches similar to north arcade, the eastern column is quatrefoil in plan and western column octagonal, both with moulded caps and bases. Tower doorway with two-centred head and chamfered jambs; stair turret doorway with square head. Piscina in east wall and south aisle. Bracket in south aisle. Chancel arch restored reusing some old material. Piscina C14 with chamfered jambs and segmental arch, sedilia of three bays with moulded two-centred arches and labels with head-stops, shafts between the bays with moulded capitals and bases. Brackets on east wall. Chancel screen, restored five bays C15; two bench ends in chancel with poppy-heads and one pew-end with carved heads. Font, C15 octagonal bowl quatrefoiled and sixfoiled panels and modern step. For monuments, floor slabs and memorial glass see RCHM, and VCH. Roofs restored, nave roof with six reset C15 carved angels.
R.C.H.M. Huntingdonshire, p285 V.C.H. Huntingdonshire, p231 Pevsner: Buildings of England, p364
Listing NGR: TL1088397322
Copyright IoE Mr Richard S. Walker. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Walker, Richard S.
Rights Holder: Walker, Richard S.
Ashlar, Lead, Limestone, Lincolnshire Limestone, Rubble, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative