Church Of St Bartholomew
- 12 Aug 2002
- Church Of St Bartholomew, Lower Sapey, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SO 66 SE LOWER SAPEY HARPLEY
1/63 Church of St Bartholomew
Parish Church. 1877. By Frederick R Kempson of Hereford, (signed plan in vestry). Chancel, north vestry, nave, south-porch. Early English style.
Coursed rubble, ashlar dressings, plain tile roof. Chancel: east window: 3 lancets with traceried head under 2 centred head; south wall: 3 lancets close set each with trefoil head; north vestry gabled, reached by steps, circular stone chimney stack to boiler; nave: 4 lancets, 2 to east paired, south door between other two within south porch, which has 2 centred head, stopped label and buttress;south door: 2 centred head, roll moulding with fillet, moulded responds; west wall has a single lancet below bell cote with 2 bells.
Interior: chancel: east window rere arch has detached columns of red sand- stone, triple sedilia in south wall, double piscina in north wall; chancel arch chamfered with roll to soffit, respond capitals foliated on red sand- stone shafts, sitting on fluted corbels. Roofs: chancel: 2 centred barrel vault with ribs and bosses; nave: collar rafter-roof, scissor arch braces and ashlar pieces. Fittings: full set including a contemporary tiled floor, altar rail, pews and pulpit; font has plain cup shaped medieval bowl (from the Old Church of St Bartholomew qv) on a C19 base.
Listing NGR: SO6869561238
Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Burrows, John
Rights Holder: Burrows, John
Rubble, Tile, Victorian Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship