Sisters Fountain And Adjoining Pool Approximately 700 Metres To South West Pf Glenthorne At Ss 7930 4917

Date:
12 Aug 2002
Location:
Sisters Fountain And Adjoining Pool Approximately 700 Metres To South West Pf Glenthorne At Ss 7930 4917, Countisbury, North Devon, Devon
Reference:
IOE01/07741/11
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
To ask us about this record, please make an enquiry.
Request a copy

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

COUNTISBURY SS 74 NE 4/28 Sisters Fountain and adjoining - pool approximately 700 metres to south-west of Glenthorne, at SS 79 30 4917 - II Spring head. Early C19. Coursed stone rubble.

Built into the hillside with flanking splayed retaining walls. Stone cross above.

Full-height entrance to chamber with arch over spring inside.

The spring water runs into an oval pool down the hill to the north-east, formed by stone rubble retaining walls.

The spring head and pool are situated on the hillside above Glenthorne (q.v) the house built for the Revd W. S. Halliday and begun in 1829. Nearby is the spot where the Revd Halliday is said to have stood and decided to build his house here. A small inscribed stone (the decision stone) marks the spot but was not seen at time of survey (July 1987) because of the dense undergrowth.



Listing NGR: SS7930049170

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Short_Trevor IOE Records for Short, Trevor; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Short. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Short, Trevor

Rights Holder: Short, Trevor

Keywords

Rubble, Stone, Georgian Revetment, Victorian Monument <By Form>, Wall, Barrier, Cross, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Pool, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Spring, Water Supply And Drainage, Water Supply Site