This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NORTH YORKSHIRE SELBY 5342 SE 62 SW CARLTON CARLTON PARK 9/3 Carlton Towers 17.11.66 GV I Country house. Early C17 range with dated architrave of 1614 probably by John Smythson; C18 wing of c1740 for Nicholas Stapleton and c1770 by Thomas Atkinson; encased and incorporated into house of 1873-5 by E W Pugin with interior of 1875-90 by J F Bentley for Lord Beaumont. Pinkish-orange brick with channelled cement render, ashlar dressings and concealed roof.
Approximately L-shaped on plan. Palladian, Neo-Classical and Gothic Revival. Main range has 3-storey, 3-bay central break forward with 2- storey, 5-bay wings and central clock tower; west range of 3 storeys and 5 bays with 3-storey tower and staircase tower, and octagonal turret. Plinth.
Entrance in angle between front and west range. Curving flight of steps with end piers mounted by Talbots holding banners depicting the Stapleton lion and the lion of Brienne. Double doors in Tudor-arched surround rising to pinnacle and ornamented with foliage, coat of arms and datestone of 1875 above. To either side are pilasters with pinnacles and lancets with stained glass. Fenestration: mainly 2- and 3-light ovolo-moulded mullion and transom windows throughout within moulded architraves and with continuous sill bands. Windows to first floor of main range are 3-light mullion and transom windows with Perpendicular tracery to heads and are recessed within Tudor-arched arcade. To west range are bands with heraldic roundels between floors. Battlements project on ornamental rainwater-heads. 3 raised coats of arms to embattled parapet of main range. Clock tower with foliate columns to angles and fish-scale tiles surmounted by Talbots at angles and inscribed with family motto MIEUX SERA. Concealed roof. Stacks concealed within battlemented towers. To west facade of west range a re-used Jacobean ashlar architrave has round-arched opening with keystone between pairs of fluted pilasters with frieze and moulded cornice surmounted by coat of arms in ornamental surround and dated 1614. Staircase tower to rear has 2- storey, 5-light ovolo-moulded mullion and transom oriel window with quatrefoil lights above. Interior. Rooms c1740: harp room has rococo plasterwork ceiling; dining room has moulded cornices, arcade of fluted Corinthian columns and 6-panel doors with moulded surrounds, pulvinated friezes and cornices, marble chimney-pieces supported by caryatids. Rooms c1770: drawing room has moulded cornice, panelled doors and Neo-Classical marble fireplace. Library has Neo-Classical plaster ceiling and marble chimney-piece. The interior by J F Bentley forms one of the most ambitious suites of Victorian rooms in England. Outer and inner halls have stencilled ceilings, imperial oak staircase and minstrels gallery with balustrading and heraldic finials. Venetian drawing room has dado painted with figures from the Merchant of Venice and chimney-piece painted with heraldic panels, Flora and the Four Seasons by J H J Westlake; plasterwork stamped and gilded to resemble leather. Card room has stencilled decoration to walls and ceiling.
Picture gallery has panelling to dado and ceiling, fireplace with ties by William de Morgan. Chapel to basement has altar-piece incorporating C15 Flemish carved wood panels of the beheading of St John the Baptist. Ante- room has re-used oak panelling with Renaissance motifs. Other rooms contain similar stained ceilings, panelled doors, fireplace etc with furniture and fittings designed by Bentley. Late C19 carving by J Erskine Knox. Stained glass by Lavers, Barrand and Westlake. Fenders and grates by Longden and Co. J M Robinson, Carlton Towers; M.Girouard, The Victorian Country House, 1971, pp 150-154; N Pevsner, Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1979 p 158; M Girouard, 'Carlton Towers, Yorkshire, I, II, III', Country Life, 26 Jan 1967, pp 176-180; 2 Feb 1967, pp 230-3; 9 Feb 1967, pp 280-3.
Listing NGR: SE6497623798
© Mr Grahame E. Davidson. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Davidson, Grahame E.
Rights Holder: Davidson, Grahame E.
Ashlar, Brick, Cement, Render, Tudor Counting House, Elizabethan Domestic, Stuart House, Jacobean Dwelling, Coat Of Arms, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument