Parish Church Of St Mary / Church Of St Mary

Date:
24 Jun 2002
Location:
Parish Church Of St Mary, Middle Street, Ilmington, Stratford On Avon, Warwickshire, CV36 4LS
Show all locations
Church Of St Mary, Middle Street, Ilmington, Stratford On Avon, Warwickshire, CV36 4LS
Reference:
IOE01/07747/14
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
To ask us about this record, please make an enquiry.
Request a copy

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

ILMINGTON MIDDLE STREET SP2043 (West side) 9/65 Church of St. Mary 13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish Church of St. Mary)

GV I

Church. Mid C12 with late C12, early C13, mid C14, C15 and C16 alterations and additions. Restored 1846, 1911 and 1936, Limestone ashlar and squared, coursed rubble with tile roofs. Chancel with vestry to north, nave with north and south transepts, south porch and west tower. Chancel of 2 bays has diagonal offset buttresses and coped gable. C12, rebuilt early C13. To east a C19 four-light window in Perpendicular style with chamfered surround and hood mould with label stop. To south a pointed priest's doorway with moulded surround and stiff leaf capitals. Later plank door. Hood mould with C13 carved head label stops. Similar carved head at apex below a single pointed lancet. To left and right a square-headed window with 2 round-headed lights each. Hollow chamfered surrounds and hood moulds with carved label stops. To north a vestry with plinth, diagonal buttresses and moulded coped parapet. C14 two-light cusped window to north with curvilinear tracery. Chamfered surround. To either side of vestry a single chamfered lancet. Nave of 3 bays is CI2 with late C14 clerestory. Moulded coped parapet. To south an early Clb porch with moulded plinth and diagonal offset buttresses. 4-centred hollow chamfered arch. Hood mould with label stops. To east and west square-headed, 2-light window with iron transoms and mullion ending in spear head. 4-centred arched doorway with chamfered and hollow-chamfered surround. Above, the remains of the C12 arch with zig-zag mould. C15 cusped niche with poppy head, broken through C12 arch. C20 plank door with carved mouse on surround. To right of porch a doorway of 2 orders with shaft and capital, now blocked, with leaded window. To left of porch a C14 two-light window with reticulated tracery and double-chamfered surround.

Clerestory to north and south has three 2-light cusped square-headed windows with double chamfered surrounds. North transept is C13, enlarged C15 and has diagonal offset buttresses, coped parapet and plinth. To north a C19 three-light window in Decorated style. To east and west two C15 two-light square-headed windows with hood mould and carved label stops. C19 three-light window to east in Decorated style. C15 south transept, almost entirely rebuilt C19, has Perpendicular style windows to east and west, with a 3-light window to south in Decorated style. West tower of 3 stages, the first 2 stages are C12 with broad, flat buttresses and C12 round-headed lancets to south and west. C15 top stage has castellated parapet with a gargoyle below to each side. C15 two-light cusped bell-chamber windows with stone slate louvres. C12 stair turret has single lights to west with a further C15 light to top stage. Painted sundial to south face of tower, with clock to west dated 1868. Interior: chancel has C13, four-bay niche arcade to north and south with hollow-chamfered surrounds.

Further C15 triple sedilia with cusps restored C19, Small cusped piscina to left. Restored C12 round-headed chancel arch of 2 orders of shafts and capitals.

North transept arch is C13 with round shaft and capital north-west and C19 polygonal respond to east. Hood mould with C13 carved head label stop. C19 south transept arch in C15 style. C12 round-headed quadruple-chamfered tower arch.

Square-headed stair turret door in tower. C15 roofs, restored C20, rest on stone corbels. Polygonal moulded font. C19 stained glass in chancel. OS altar table.

C15 effigy of priest in tower. Stone tablet in north transept set up by John Palmer for his father Richard, died 1582, and his own wife Frances who died 1601. Brass to Brent family, from 1595 to 1666, with a brass of the Brent wyvern to either side. Brass tablet to Biles Palmer. Further brass to Edmund, son of Henry Jones, died 1667. One C18 and 2 early C19 marble tablets in nave walls.

Grave slabs in nave to Joan Canning of Foxcote, 1685, and to Thomas Canning, 1716. Five bells by Henry Bagley, 1641. C20 pews with 'mouse' carvings by the mouse man of Kilburn'. Good C16 chest in tower.

(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.316-7; V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp. 100-103).

Listing NGR: SP2096843470

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE\Lomax_Harry IOE Records for Lomax, Harry; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

Copyright IoE Mr Harry Lomax. Source Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Lomax, Harry

Rights Holder: Lomax, Harry

Keywords

Ashlar, Limestone, Rubble, Tile, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Effigy, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative Brass, Wall Monument