Church Of King Charles The Martyr
- Church Of King Charles The Martyr, Shelland Green, Shelland, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14 3JF
- Photograph (Digital)
This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SHELLAND SHELLAND GREEN TM 06 SW
4/167 Church of King Charles 09/12/55 the Martyr
Parish church; medieval core but remodelled 1646 for Thomas Cropley, and virtually rebuilt 1767 for Richard Ray, whose coat of arms with date are over the east window. Nave, chancel, north porch, south vestry. The nave has the medieval core; the chancel was rebuilt and the north porch and south vestry was added, all in 1767. The nave walls are of stuccoed masonry with medieval freestone quoins, apart from the east wall which, like the chancel, was rebuilt 1767 with quoins of gault brick. The porch has an outer doorway of gault brick moulded in the Gothic manner. Concrete plaintiled roofs with parapet gables of gault brick. Above the west gable is an C18 bell turrett with a leaded ogee cap. 4 plain Y-traceried windows and 2 lancets, all of freestone in the manner of early C14, but perhaps C18 renewals. The butt- purlin nave roof is probably of 1646. The interior is entirely of 1767: east window in the Perpendicular style. Complete box pews, with a matching triple- decker pulpit. Rails at the chancel arch and sanctuary. Good mid C14 octagonal limestone font; the bowl has carved foliate patterns and shields, and the stem a moulded capital and base. The ogee cover of 1767 has a pineapple finial. In the chancel are 6 marble floor slabs to C17 members of the Cropley family, and another is in the nave. Arms of George III over the west window. A fine and rare barrel organ by H. Bryceson of London, c.1810.
The living was donative until 1937.
Listing NGR: TM0035260228
Copyright IoE Miss Tracy Leah. Source Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
Photographer: Leah, Tracy
Rights Holder: Leah, Tracy
Brick, Concrete, Stone, Stucco, Tile, Medieval Parish Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Church, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Coat Of Arms