This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
LAXTON CHURCH LANE SK 76 NE 5/38 Moorhouse Chapel 25.7.80 II*
Church of England Chapel. 1860. By Henry Clutton for J. E.
Denison. C12 French Gothic Revival style. Coursed squared rubble and brick with ashlar dressings. Steep pitched gabled and hipped plain tile roofs. Single side wall stone stack. Sill bands, coved and billeted eaves, coped gables with crosses.
Windows are single and double lancets with notched reveals and partial capitals, and chamfered heads. Nave and chancel under continuous roof, bell turret, vestry, south porch. Nave, 4 bays, has to east a single buttress on each side, that to north engaged with vestry, plus additional buttress on north side to west. South side has single central lancet flanked by single double lancets. North side has a double and 2 single lancets.
West end has 2 lancets and above, chamfered round window. Single bay chancel has on each side, to east, a single buttress and a single round traceried window. East end has 3 single lancets with crocketed reveals, and above, unglazed traceried round window. Bell turret has a gabled buttress on each side. To east and west, a round headed recess containing 2 crocketed round headed openings with paired ringed central shafts with crocketed capitals and flanked by similar larger shafts. Above, coped gable with kneelers and iron cross. Vestry, single bay, has corbelled stack to west and to north, 2 square headed windows with notched mullion with partial capitals. Interior has painted stone dressings. Nave has chamfered pointed openings, moulded sill band with foliate stops and chamfered eaves. Principal rafter roof with double purlins, notched braces, collars and minor king posts. Moulded chancel arch has coved hood mould with billeted stops, and billeted corbels, carrying double ringed shaft imposts with large waterleaf capitals, beasts and nail head band. Chancel has to east elaborate Decorated style reredos, painted ashlar, with 4 cusped ogee openings, crocketed gables, pinnacles and finials. Painted texts. South side has a small piscina. Vaulted roof with roll moulded ribs and central round opening. Vestry has principal rafter roof with collars.
Fittings include tapered round font with 4 square shafts, on clustered column with foliate capitals, and quatrefoil base.
Round ashlar pulpit with ringed round base with 4 square engaged shafts, moulded top and bottom edges, and bracketed bookstand with granite shaft. Cast iron lectern with 4 twisted shafts and traceried bracketed feet and bookstand. Shaped, chamfered softwood benches, carved panelled and painted bench, armchair with carved panelled back dated 1662. C17 side table with turned legs and carved top rail. Moulded altar rail with notched bracketed shafts.
Listing NGR: SK7530266780
© Mr Roger H Mockford. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Mockford, Roger H
Rights Holder: Mockford, Roger H
Ashlar, Brick, Rubble, Tile, Victorian Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship