This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ 72 NE SALEHURST JUNCTION ROAD, Bodiam 6/3 Great Wigsell 3.8.61 II*
Large irregular-shaped house mainly early C17, restored by Sir Ernest George in 1905 after it had been unoccupied for some years. The original portion, built by Henry English, is L-shaped with the staircase in the angle and has the date 1641 on a doorway. It is very similar in character to Batemans, Burwash, which is dated 1631.
Ashlar. Tiled roof. The main front faces North West. 2 storeys and attic.
5 windows. 3 gables with attic windows and finials over. In the centre is a porch with 2 storeys and gable over. The porch has a flat archway and enriched cornice with cartouche above. Casement windows of 2 lights with stone mullions and transoms.
Chimney breasts at each end of the front and behind with red brick stacks. The south east wing has one gable and a gable end facing south east. Parallel to this wing is an C18 wing of ashlar with red brick dressings and sash windows with glazing bars intact and doorway with rectangular fanlight. This has 2 storeys and attic, 3 windows and 2 dormers. At the south west end it was prolonged by Sir Ernest George when the house was restored in 1905. Goad early C17 staircase and panelling.
The house was the home of Viscount Milner at the end of his life.
Listing NGR: TQ7608727318
© Mr Clive Read. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Read, Clive
Rights Holder: Read, Clive
Ashlar, Brick, Tile, Tudor House, Elizabethan Monument <By Form>, Stuart Domestic, Jacobean Dwelling, Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument