This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
NY 44 NE HESKET SOUTHWAITE
2/191 Southwaite Hall, Copper House and barns adjoining
House, divided into 2 dwellings, and barns. Mid C16 with alterations dated and inscribed over rear entrance R & L.S. 1628 and Skelton coat-of-arms (Richard & Lettice Skelton); further late C18 alterations. Barn with early C19 extension.
Painted roughcast rubble walls, under steeply-pitched graduated greenslate roof with right coped gable; one original large rendered stone ridge chimney stack with slate drip stones and C19 brick top, the other a gable-end brick chimney stack. Extension of painted rendered walls with V-jointed quoins, under graduated greenslate roof with C19 sandstone chimney stacks. Rear outshut has asbestos roof. Barns of red sandstone rubble, under Welsh and greenslate roofs. Original house 2 storeys, 6 bays with left higher 2-bay extension, now Copper House; right lower barns in L-shape. Between the chimneys of the original house is a central C20 door in a C17 chamfered stone surround. The C17 fenestration of 2-light chamfered stone-mullioned windows, under continuous hoodmoulds on both floors, is broken by the irregular insertion of sash windows with glazing bars in late C18 painted stone surrounds. Associated with the left chimney stack are blocked firewindows. The extension has a right C20 door, and sash windows, all in painted stone surrounds. Part of the barn forms an integral part of the house with a sash window on both floors in stone surrounds, in an otherwise blank front wall. The rear outshut is of 3 builds and extends partly over the extension and partly over the barn. A central small window has remains of its chamfered mullion and right doorway has a reused dated lintel, which was probably from the rear, now internal, wall. A C19 stone porch on the left return wall of the outshut has a further reused lintel dated and inscribed in a segmented shield J.S. & E.S. 1678 (probably John Salkeld and his wife).
The rear of the barn has plank doors under loft doorways and loft openings, all in stone surrounds. The interior of the house has beamed ceilings. The right gable has a large C16 segmental-arched stone fireplace, to the right of which is a spiral stone staircase in the thickness of the wall, now giving access to the upper floor of the barn, but originally continued up and now blocked above. A similar fireplace is associated with the ridge stack but is now a plastered recess. A rear C19 cupboard is in a blocked window recess complete with its stone mullion.
Listing NGR: NY4503845308
© Mrs Gill Andrew. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Andrew, Gill
Rights Holder: Andrew, Gill
Asbestos, Brick, Render, Roughcast, Rubble, Sandstone, Slate, Stone, Medieval House, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Elizabethan Domestic, Dwelling, Barn, Agriculture And Subsistence, Farm Building, Agricultural Building, Coat Of Arms, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Date Stone, Commemorative Stone